CH: 46

Nishita

Once we were done eating, I took the plates to keep them in the sink. “Nishita” I turned to look at maa. “I don’t know what your favourites are, but I made one of Seungcheol’s favorites today and eat timely.” I tilted my head because I didn’t get what she meant, I washed my hands and walked towards her and saw there were three lunchboxes on the kitchen island, “You-”
“Yes, I packed lunch for you. I always make lunch for Heesung and Seungcheol, so why not you?” I didn’t know how to thank them, the way they had been treating me here was making me overwhelmed at times. Making my lunch, remembering little things about me, like how am I supposed to take all this care.

“Thank you maa” She was starting to deserve the title ‘maa’ after all this. She came towards me and cupped my face, “Have a nice day at work, since it’s your first day at work after your marriage.” I nodded.

Once done, I went upstairs to our and saw Seungcheol, wearing his watch, “Are you ready?” I nodded. “I think I will leave first” I walked towards the sofa to take my bag, “Take care” I picked up my bag and looked at him, “Should I drop you?” I tilted my head, “No, I mean. You know… it’s like…” I smiled at him, “No, I will take my car.” And took the car keys.

“Okay.”
“Bye,” I was about to leave the room, “Bye” I turned to look at him for the last time before leaving the room. I went towards the kitchen and saw maa, “Nishita, here’s the tiffin, take care” I nodded and left.

I went to take out my car from the garage, and once seated, I realized how much I missed driving. Since I was in Gurgaon, it wouldn’t take a lot of time like it did for my home, until and unless I am stuck in traffic.

Honestly, I was nervous, I wasn’t ready. It was something I didn’t know how to respond to all these feelings. I was driving and music was on but then my phone started ringing. I connected my phone to the car, “Hello”

I smiled at Noor’s voice, “Hello” My eyes were focused on the road since it was office hours, “So, how are you feeling Mrs. Nishita Das” I smiled, “What do you think Ms. Noor Jahan?” and I heard her laugh, if anything could make my day better, then it was her laugh.

“I am nervous but I hope I will be okay”
“Then I have got an idea, do you want to meet at the usual place after work for some time? Then we can go back home after eating ice cream” I knew her, we would often meet at a mutual place and randomly talk about everything after work hours, before we head towards our home. “Okay”

After talking a bit, we hung up and I made my way towards my workplace.

*************

My days were going normal but people would ask me about my marriage, about Seungcheol, and my in-laws as well. All the interactions with my colleagues were getting exhausting because everyone seemed so interested in every little detail, like my surname, what are the things that changed, and whether I bring my car or if Seungcheol drops me off or not.

This same thing went on and off for two to three days.

Today marked the last day of February and we had team dinner. “Accha suno” I turned to look at Seungcheol while getting ready, “I would be leaving early today” I turned to look at him, I didn’t know why was he letting me know but he did. He even woke up early today, before me. “Okay,” He took his bag and went downstairs to have his breakfast and leave. I got ready and got my trench coat fast.

I was having breakfast with maa and Heesung since others left early for a meeting. “They all left together?” Maa nodded, “At times, they leave together if there’s some meeting early morning or they need to arrange a few things for a meeting.” It then hit me, that since there’s team dinner I would not be taking my car because others would tell me to drop them off. After all, they would be drinking and it might be some mess. This already happened at times, anyone who brings their cars out for team dinner, co-workers tell them to drop them off, and often it’s a mess. On days like this, I either take a cab or tell Noor to drop me off or dad if really necessary but I avoid taking my car.