CH: 25

Nishita

We were told to stand up for saat phera and we did. Saat pheras are the seven sacred rounds that a bride and groom take around the holy fire and each round around the holy fire holds a vow and significance that a couple has to follow and each pheras signifies a vow that we have to take for eternity

After we stood up, I knew Seungcheol is going to lead the first four vows and the latter would be done by me. I was ready to step back but then I saw Seungcheol suddenly lifting me up in his arms. I was surprised by his act, “both of us are going to be equally responsible in this marriage so, I would not want to lead in this relationship alone. She is going to be my wife and I want to give her equal rights in this marriage. We are going to be a couple with equal responsibilities and promises to each other.” I was unable to say anything, because I had no idea how to respond, I saw how everyone was surprised. Somewhere, I spotted bua and she was in shock, more like her face was telling me something. I held Seungcheol tight when the priest started saying the vows and Seungcheol started taking round.

‘the first vow is praying to god for provision and nourishment’ I told myself, I would share the responsibilities equally and respect him, just the way I told Seungcheol on the first day, I would complete all the duties of a good daughter-in-law and a wife.

Then Seungcheol takes the second round, ‘the second vow is for Strength and Togetherness in every situation’ and this reminded me of the time, things Seungcheol told bua, and that was something which left me thinking a lot of things because it’s not something ‘just anyone’ does.

Seungcheol took the third round, ‘The third vow is for prosperity’ I had no idea why would I look up to him when he was taking the third vow, I knew this vow is like a bride and a groom asks for a comfortable and prosperous life, and it’s also about promising loyalty to each other for the entire life. The moment I looked up at him, I saw how serious and genuine he looked while holding me in his arms and completing the phera.

It was time for the fourth round and I still couldn’t look anywhere but at him, I wanted to know what was he thinking, and ‘the fourth vow is for families’ This vow is always so important for a bride and a groom, because this came with respecting each other’s families.

I had no idea why I thought, he would put me down but he didn’t and he continued talking the fifth round, ‘The fifth vow is for progeny’ and I couldn’t stop looking at him, I was feeling a trace… of comfort while looking at him. This fifth vow means a lot and I knew my heart wanted to believe that he would not be breaking any of these promises he is making today infront of the holy fire.

Two more rounds were left, he took the sixth round, ‘the sixth vow is for health’ and while taking the last round, ‘the last and the seventh vow is for love and friendship’ Upon completing this round this would mean we are promising each other, love, trust and companionship to each other; we would stand with each other thick and thin and be together. The whole idea of ‘love’ changed for me a few years ago, the whole thing felt suffocating and scary. I had no idea what was ahead of me and what was ahead of us together but we were already tied in this bond.

After the completion of the saat phere, Seungcheol put me down carefully and everyone was still shocked but I saw some smiling faces. “Seungcheol put this vermilion oh her hair partition” and that’s when I realized it was the turn of the vermilion and putting this vermilion of my hair partition and making me wear the mangalsutra (the nuptial chain) around my neck would be the last part of the ceremony.
I saw him nodding and he picked up the sindoor and extended his hand towards me, I closed my eyes without thinking about anything. I felt sindoor falling on top of my nose, and the moment sindoor touched my forehead, there was an unknown nervousness inside me. They say it’s marked as a lucky omen if sindoor falls on your nose. And this marks me as a married woman tonight, “Nishi, always remember for me this sindoor, this marriage and most importantly you, matter the most.” I opened my eyes slowly and saw how sincere he looked, everything about him was different today, he always felt responsible and sincere but this side of him felt different today since morning.