CH: 32

Nishita

I came out of the room and almost couldn’t believe what Seungcheol did, to me. Sometimes I didn’t get why I would feel nervous and all sorts of emotions whenever he would be close or try to do something to show he cares and at the end, I would just feel overwhelmed.

Maybe I knew, I wasn’t used to anyone showing care to me, even when I needed it.

I went downstairs and was walking carefully. Cooking in a new kitchen, when it’s not even my kitchen to start with, was something I was so nervous about. I had no idea how to deal with this nervousness.

Pehli rasoi is where the newly married bride cooks her first meal for her in-laws. The ritual symbolises new beginnings, fostering a sense of love and acceptance between the bride and her in-laws. In most cases, the meal is a sweet dish because it’s a nice way to start new beginnings.

This reminded me, of how mom called me early in the morning just to ensure I was awake, wearing a saree, and already decided what to cook. The truth was I was wondering what to make and then I decided to make kheer after talking to Noor yesterday night. Half of the time, I didn’t understand mom, did she not care about me? yesterday she didn’t even call me once but she did this morning, and that was just to know if I was awake or not.

Mom was telling me again and again that I needed to get validation from everyone here and needed to cook with perfection and no other way, I knew the pressure and the nervousness didn’t help me at all.

I was walking towards the kitchen and saw maa coming towards me, “Good morning Nishita” I smiled at her, she looked pretty in the morning, “Good morning”. She kissed my forehead with care, I could feel it.

She took me to the kitchen, “So what are you planning to make today?” I looked at her, nervous because it was a new kitchen for me and I hadn’t worked in this kitchen, more like it was the first time I’d entered here. “I want to make kheer, is that okay?” she smiled at me, “Yes. No one got any allergies.” I nodded.

“I would be making puri and aaloo ki sabji” I looked at her, “Let me help you know where are the things you would need” I nodded. She almost gave me a tour of the kitchen, she told me where she keeps what and what not. I nodded at her and tried to remember everything.

“Here’s basmati rice, you will need it now right?” I nodded at her. I took out the rice, trying to measure it for everyone. There were 8 members today, so I had to be careful with the measurement.

I rinsed it 3 to 4 times and then kept it for soaking. I looked over to maa and she was starting to prepare for breakfast. “Let me help you with the curry today, it will take some time for the rice.” she looked over me, “For today, just make kheer and no more.”

“But I want to help you today.” I wanted to help her today and I didn’t want to just stand here and see her do everything. Soon, I saw Heesung coming over with bua, I looked at them and greeted them.

Heesung came over to me, “So what’s for the menu?” I narrowed my eyes, “something that you hate the most”

“Really?” He looked at me, and I just laughed at him. “See what they are doing.” we saw bua and maa making breakfast together and we didn’t know how much time passed, and bua and maa were so quick to make breakfast. Once they were done, the kitchen was handed over to me, bua left saying she had to talk to Somi about something and Heesung and maa were the only ones left in the kitchen.

Heesung leaned over the side he was standing,“So I want to see you cook, let’s see what do you do” I gave him a look, “You always do this with me” he started laughing and maa was smiling as well.