26 - 30

Chapter 26: Picking Mountain Products

After Ning Shu got up in the morning, she washed up and went to look for Xie Fuqiu and Meng Xiran with her backpack on her back.

As Ning Shu arrived at the door of Xie Fuqi's house, it opened. Xie Fuqi and Meng Xiran were carrying the same equipment as Ning Shu, and were carrying backpacks.

"Oh, Shushu, you're here. I was just about to call you." Meng Xiran said happily when he saw Ning Shu.

"Yeah, I got up early, okay, let's go."

After Xie Fuqiu came out and locked the door, she walked towards the mountain behind Ning Shu's house. On the way up the mountain, they met the aunts and ladies from the village who were also walking up the mountain.

Ning Shu saw the captain's wife, "Aunt Aihua."

"Hey, Shushu, are you guys going to the mountain too?"

"That's right, let's go to the mountains and pick up some firewood to prepare for the winter."

"Then come with me. I know where the hazelnuts are on the mountain."

"Auntie, there's no need. There are so many of us."

"Well, it's okay. Many people know about it. Let's go quickly. If you go too late, there won't be much left."

"Okay, thank you very much, Auntie." Xie Fuqi and Meng Xiran followed Ning Shu to thank her, "Thank you, Auntie.

Ning Shu and the other two followed Ma Aihua up the mountain. Ma Aihua led them to turn left and right, and after a while they came to a hazel forest.

There were a few women in the forest who were hitting the hazelnuts on the highest part of the trees with long sticks. When they saw Ma Aihua coming, they greeted her, "Captain's family, you are here. Are these educated youth here too?"

"Yes, I was afraid that they didn't know what was on the mountain, so I brought them here to have a look."

"Oh, then you should pick them quickly too."

"No, I'm talking about the captain's family. We don't even have enough to share with them with such little stuff. And you brought three educated youths up here. What's the meaning?" A woman with a dry face and protruding cheekbones, who looked very sharp-tongued, shouted.

"It's none of your business who I bring here, Niu Guojuan. This is not your home. Why can you come but others can't?" Upon hearing this, Ma Aihua retorted without hesitation.

"Tsk," Niu Guojuan said softly, then rolled her eyes and continued picking hazelnuts.

"Xiao Shu, don't pay attention to what that old woman says. She is the meanest. Next time you encounter something like this, just curse her back. If you can't win, come find me. Auntie is just rude to others."

"Okay, auntie, I get it. Let's pick them quickly and pick them quickly so that she won't leave any." Ning Shu said with a smile.

"Okay." After saying that, Ma Aihua also started picking the fruits skillfully.

............