16 - 20

Chapter 16: Moving Away from the Youth Camp

Ning Shu returned to the educated youth camp and found that everyone there had returned. There were now five male educated youths and four female educated youths. Li Zhi saw Ning Shu coming back and said, "Comrade Ning Shu, you are back. Come and eat something. After you finish eating, I will take you to the brigade headquarters to collect your subsidized food."

After that, Li Zhi also introduced the former educated youths in the educated youth center. The remaining four male educated youths were Zhao Xingguo, Sun Zhian, Zhou Xian, and Wang Jianjun; the three female educated youths were Wu Qianqian, Zheng Min, and Lin Xiaohua. Ning Shu greeted them one by one.

Ning Shu went over and sat beside the table, which had a dish of mixed wild vegetables, a bowl of cornmeal porridge for each person, and a cornmeal steamed bun. Ning Shu looked at today's meal, walked into the room, and took out half a bottle of canned meat that she had made in Kyoto from her bag.

"Today is my first day here, let's have a bite to eat." Ning Shu said as he opened the can.

"Thank you very much, Comrade Ning Shu." Li Zhi was not polite. After all, they hadn't eaten meat for a long time.

After finishing the meal, Ning Shu said to Li Zhi: "Comrade Li Zhi, I will not live here anymore. I will temporarily live in the captain's house."

"Why don't you live here? Did something happen?" Li Zhi asked with concern.

"No, I'm not feeling well and need a quiet environment to rest."

"Will you always live in the captain's house from now on?"

"No, I'm just staying here temporarily. The house over there is being built by my cousin who came over to help me arrange it in advance. It will be completed in two days, and I'll live there from now on."

After hearing Ning Shu's words, everyone at the educated youth site fell silent.

At this moment, a voice suddenly rang out: "She is really the eldest daughter of a capitalist. Are you going to the countryside or to enjoy life?"

Ning Shu looked towards the direction where the voice came from and found that it was the female educated youth named Lin Xiaohua.

"Comrade Lin Xiaohua, please be careful when you speak. What do you mean by a capitalist's daughter? My father and mother were both martyrs. I am here to build the countryside and I just need a quiet place to rest. If you speak like this again next time, I will report you to the police."

When Lin Xiaohua heard this, her face turned pale. Li Zhi on the side also laughed: "Comrade Ning Shu, don't mind it. Comrade Lin Xiaohua just spoke without thinking. I asked her to apologize to you." As he said this, he winked at Lin Xiaohua.

Lin Xiaohua said sorry reluctantly and ran back to her room.

Ning Shu looked at the others and warned, "Don't let me hear any rumors coming out of here in the future, or I will report it to the police." After saying that, he walked out without stopping.

Ning Shu returned to the place where the female educated youth lived, picked up her package and left.

Ning Shu came to the captain's house, where the captain had just finished his meal.

"Uncle Fang, I'm here." Ning Shu said to the captain with a smile.

"Ning Zhiqing, this is your aunt Ma Aihua, this is your eldest brother Fang Jianhua, your eldest sister-in-law Feng Hui; this is your second brother Fang Jianguo, this is your second sister-in-law Chen Qingqing; your third brother Fang Jianjun is in the army and has not come back; this is Fang Zhenzhen, my youngest daughter, younger than you; these are all the children in the family."