61 - 65

Chapter 61 Spring Ploughing 1

Soon it was time for spring ploughing. Ning Shu woke up early in the morning at the call of the alarm clock. After finishing the tidying up, Ning Shu made herself a simple bowl of egg and vegetable noodles and added a glass of milk. After breakfast, Ning Shu had just finished cleaning the pot when she heard the horn of the brigade going to work.

Ning Shu filled the kettle with some water and walked out the door. When Ning Shu just walked out the door and locked it, she saw Xie Fuqi and two others walking out. Ning Shu walked over and said, "Qiqi, Aran, good morning."

"Hey, Shushu, good morning." Meng Xiran responded with a smile, and Xie Fuqiu also nodded with a smile.

"Let's go." The three of them walked together to the small square in the brigade.

When they arrived at the small square, Ning Shu found that there were quite a lot of people in the square. Almost all the people in the team who were going to work had come. The team leader was standing on the platform in front of the small square.

"Ahem, everyone, be quiet and listen to me." The captain said from above.

After hearing what the captain said, the people below immediately quieted down.

"Comrades, the annual spring ploughing is about to begin. Everyone should redouble their efforts in the new year and strive to win the award of advanced brigade again at the end of this year. We should redouble our efforts this year so that we can distribute more grain at the end of the year..." The brigade leader spoke passionately on the stage.

Ning Shu secretly observed the expressions of the nearby villagers. Ning Shu couldn't help thinking, 'Uncle Fang is really suitable for giving speeches. Look, after these words, the expressions of the people around him are different.'

"...Well, let's do this. This spring we will start with wheat, then corn, sweet potatoes, and soybeans. Now I will assign your teams..."

Soon the captain assigned the teams, and then everyone walked towards the field together. This time, Ning Shu, Xie Fuqi and the other two were assigned to the same team.

"Shushu, Qiqi, we are going to be in the same team this time. I am so happy." Meng Xiran couldn't stop smiling ever since she heard that the three of them were assigned to the same team, and now she spoke excitedly.

"Yeah, I'm very happy too." Ning Shu also said with a smile.

The three of them arrived at the field very quickly, and the team leader of their team assigned tasks to Ning Shu and the other two. The first thing to do when farming is to plow the land. In the past, when there were no tractors in the brigade, people could only plow the land with oxen pulling iron plows. Now that the brigade has tractors, the land can be plowed quickly using tractors. Today they are mainly responsible for sowing.

Since there were no seed drills in those days, a harrow had to be used to sow wheat. Also, there was only one old ox in the brigade, so sowing was still done by manpower.

Ning Shu and her two companions were a group of sowers. Two of them pulled the harrow, and one held the harrow to keep it balanced and inserted into the ground at a depth suitable for sowing wheat.

The three of them discussed it and first listened to how to keep the harrow balanced and insert it into the ground at a suitable depth. Whoever learned it first would hold the harrow, and the other two would be responsible for pulling the harrow. After a crop of sowing was completed, they would change the harrow.

The three of them listened to the instructions on how to use the plow cart together, and then everyone tried it out. Ning Shu mastered it more accurately, so Ning Shu held the plow cart first, while Xie Fuqiu and Meng Xiran were responsible for pulling the plow cart.