Chapter 16

Ishika and Ujjwal had both gotten ready to head to their respective offices.

Ishika said, "You looked really tired last night, so I tried to comfort you..." She paused mid-sentence.

After taking the last bite of his breakfast, Ujjwal said, "I know your intentions were good."

Ishika nodded her head.

Both got up from the dining table. Ujjwal washed his hands.

Ishika couldn't stop herself from glancing at Ujjwal repeatedly. She thought the navy blue shirt looked great on him.

Ujjwal noticed Ishika stealing glances at him.

He asked, "What happened, Ishika?"

Ishika replied, "Nothing."

"Tell me, Ishika."

Clenching her fists in her kurti, Ishika said, "The navy blue shirt looks really good on you."

After saying this, Ishika gulped nervously.

"Do you like it?"

Ishika nodded.

Ujjwal smiled.

As he adjusted his chair, Ujjwal said, "I don't feel like going to the office today."

Ishika asked, "Why? Are you feeling okay?"

"I have a headache, Ishika."

"I'll massage your head; maybe it will help."

"No, don't worry about it. You'll be late for work."

"I won't be late. Come on, lie down on the bed."

Ujjwal lay down on the bed, and Ishika sat beside him. Ujjwal placed his head in her lap. Ishika hadn't expected this, and she smiled internally.

Ishika gently started caressing his forehead. She quickly realized that her belly were very close to his face, just above him.

She became nervous, thinking that if Ujjwal opened his eyes, he'd immediately see her belly since they were so close to his face. She worried about how she would meet his gaze afterwards.

Ishika slowly massaged Ujjwal's forehead, hoping to ease his pain.

Ujjwal, with his eyes closed, felt the care in Ishika's touch. He found her hands soft and comforting, making him want to stay like this in her lap the whole day.

"Even though we both have to go to the office now, tonight I'll sleep like this again. You won't mind, will you?"

"I won't mind."

After a while, Ujjwal said, "That's enough, Ishika."

Ujjwal opened his eyes and noticed her belly. Ishika realized that he had seen it, and she felt a nervous flutter in her chest.

She worried that Ujjwal would say something about her chubbiness.

Ujjwal sat up from her lap and thanked her.

"Your hands are very soft, Ishika. I feel much better."

Ishika nods her head.

"Let's go, Ishika. It's time for the office."

Ishika was surprised because she had expected Ujjwal to comment on her chubbiness today, but he said nothing, which was unexpected.

Ishika couldn't understand what was happening. Before her marriage, her relatives had taunted her a lot, saying things like, "You're dark-skinned and chubby, no one will marry you. And even if someone does, he will get tired of you and throw you out of the house."

Ishika wondered how, even after all this time, Ujjwal had never mentioned her dark skin or criticized her for being chubby.

She remembered that whenever Ujjwal was close to her, she never saw disappointment or disgust on his face. His expressions were always either neutral or smiling.

"What are you thinking, Ishika?"

"N-nothing."

Ishika and Ujjwal left for their respective offices.

---

(That night)

Ishika was fixing her hair in front of the mirror when she noticed Ujjwal coming out of the washroom, freshened up.

He was wearing a navy blue half-sleeved t-shirt. She thought to herself that Ujjwal didn't have any t-shirts in that color.

Ishika asked him, "I've never seen you wear this t-shirt before."

Ujjwal lied, "Yes, it was tucked away in the back of the cupboard. I just found it and thought I'd give it a try."

"Okay."

As Ujjwal turned around, Ishika noticed a tag on the t-shirt which meant it was new, and her eyes widened.

She remembered that earlier that morning, she had told him that he looked good in a navy blue shirt. She wondered if Ujjwal had bought the t-shirt just because she liked the color.

Ishika couldn't believe that Ujjwal had bought a t-shirt in a color she liked.

She thought to herself, "I've been impressed with you from a long time, you didn't have to do all this."

"Does it fit well, Ishika?"

"Yes, it fits perfectly. It looks good."

As soon as Ishika said this, a smile appeared on Ujjwal's face, though she didn't notice.

Ishika felt bad, thinking that maybe now Ujjwal would stop wearing clothes he personally liked.

She wanted to say, "You look good in anything you wear," but couldn't bring herself to say it.

Ishika sat on the bed and told Ujjwal, "If your head still hurts, I can massage it again."

"No, it doesn't hurt anymore."

Ishika felt disappointed, thinking she wouldn't get to caress Ujjwal's head again tonight.

Accidentally, Ishika blurted out loudly, "But you said you wanted to sleep in my lap tonight!"

Realizing that she had said it aloud, Ishika bit her lip.

Ujjwal replied, "You must be tired, so I didn't want to disturb you."

Ishika said, "When have I ever been disturbed by you?"

Ujjwal lay down and placed his head in Ishika's lap again, closing his eyes.

Ishika felt a wave of excitement.

She slowly massaged his head, smiling to herself.

The light from the bedside lamp illuminated Ujjwal's face.

Ishika, without Ujjwal noticing, kissed her palm softly, and then continued to massage his head with the same palm.

Ujjwal enjoyed the warmth of Ishika's hands and the care she showed him.

After a while, Ujjwal said, "Let's sleep now."

They both lay down. Ishika noticed the distance between them on the bed and thought that, for the past few days, Ujjwal had cuddled her to sleep because she had been scared due to fake photos. But now that she wasn't scared, he wasn't cuddling her.

Ujjwal's eyes were still open, and both were lying on their left side, meaning Ujjwal is facing her back.

Ishika slowly moved her blanket aside, which Ujjwal noticed.

Then, she slowly began inching closer to him. Ujjwal wondered what she was doing.

As soon as Ishika reached Ujjwal's blanket, she gently pulled it over herself and continued to move closer to him.

Ujjwal chuckled at Ishika's actions.

Ishika stopped moving when she felt Ujjwal's body touch hers.

She gently took Ujjwal's hand, and made him cuddle her.

Ujjwal smiled.

___________________________________________

Kindly vote and comment.