Chapter 25: Her nightmare

Ishika’s eyes open in the morning, and she finds Ujjwal sleeping next to her, in a blanket.

After freshening up, she heads to the kitchen to make breakfast, smiling to herself as she recalls the events of the previous night.

Ujjwal wakes up, gets ready, and comes out with a towel wrapped around his waist. Entering the kitchen, he says playfully, "Look, Ishika, your love bites from last night."

Ishika, busy cooking, turns to look at him after hearing this. Seeing him shirtless, she shyly lowers her head.

"Why are you looking down, Ishika? Look up."

"Y-You aren’t wearing a shirt."

"So what? I’m your husband. You can look at me like this," Ujjwal teases her, in a playful mood.

Ishika lifts her head and sees Ujjwal’s neck and chest covered with her love bites.

"How will you go to the office like this?" Ishika asks concernedly

"What do you mean?"

"People will see the marks on your neck."

"Let them see."

"Why? What will they think?"

"They’ll think about what my wife did to me last night."

Ishika starts to worry.

"Don’t worry; I’ll wear my shirt in such a way that the love bites won’t be visible," Ujjwal says with a chuckle.

Ishika feels relieved, but this relief is short-lived.

"Oh, by the way, Ishika, there’s a family function at my relatives' place tomorrow night, and we need to go."

Ishika says "okay," but she doesn’t really want to attend, as she has unpleasant memories associated with family functions.

                                     ---

(The next night)

Ishika and Ujjwal are ready to attend the family function. Ishika feels anxious, fearing that her worst nightmare might come true.

They arrive at the venue, surrounded by beautiful lighting and a large crowd. Ujjwal is happy, as it’s been a while since he met his relatives.

Meanwhile, Ishika starts feeling nervous, sweating in her palms as the decorations remind her of a previous family functions. At that event, her own relatives had harshly criticized her physical appearance, leaving her with low self-esteem.

She is especially anxious about facing Surbhi and Saarika again, the two who had been the most vocal about her looks in the past. Ishika doesn’t want to be here, but she can’t bring herself to tell Ujjwal, as she doesn’t want to ruin his happiness.

Slowly, she walks beside Ujjwal.

Ujjwal spots his uncle and approaches him, with Ishika walking by his side. His uncle’s elder son, Vihaan, is also standing there.

Ujjwal touches his uncle’s feet out of respect and exchanges pleasantries. Ishika smiles at his uncle as well.

Ishika’s attention shifts to where Surbhi is standing nearby, talking with some other women.

"Does Ujjwal troubles you?" his uncle asks Ishika.

"No, not at all," Ishika replies.

"Well, if he ever does, just let me know. I’ll teach him lesson," his uncle says playfully.

Ujjwal laughs.

"Okay, uncle," Ishika responds softly.

"Why are you only saying this about me? Tell something to Ishika too," Ujjwal says, trying to act innocent but failing.

"What can I say to her? She’s such a sweet girl. I’m telling you, Ujjwal, if you ever hurt my daughter, then you will have to face me," his uncle replies.

Ishika feels touched, hearing her uncle-in-law refer to her as his daughter.

Ujjwal playfully folds his hands and slightly bows, saying, "Okay."

His uncle laughs at Ujjwal’s playful gesture.

Ishika, however, keeps overhearing bits of the conversation between Surbhi and the other women.

"That’s Ujjwal over there, right, Surbhi?" asks Roshni.

"Yes."

"And who’s that standing next to him?" Roshni asks, as she hadn’t attended Ujjwal’s wedding.

"His wife," Surbhi replies with a frown.

"What!" Roshni is shocked and in disbelief.

"Are you serious, Surbhi?"

"I’m telling the truth," Surbhi says, still with a grim expression.

"What did Ujjwal even see in her?" Roshni asks, unable to believe it.

"Who knows," Surbhi replies dismissively.

"She’s chubby and so dark." Surbhi says.

Ishika hears everything and feels deeply hurt. Her worst fear is coming true.

"Look at Rupam, my Vihaan’s wife. She’s so beautiful," Surbhi referring to her daughter-in-law standing nearby.

"You're right. Rupam is indeed very beautiful," Roshni agrees.

Ishika also glances at Rupam and admits that she does look beautiful.

Ujjwal and his uncle talking, unaware of Surbhi and Roshni’s conversation.

"I thought she wouldn’t last long with Ujjwal. I expected him to divorce her out after just a few days," Surbhi says bitterly.

Hearing this, Ishika feels devastated. She can no longer hold back her tears.

Ishika tells Ujjwal she’s going to the washroom and quickly makes her way through the crowd.

Once inside, she locks the door and starts sobbing uncontrollably. She thinks about how her fears came true, how Surbhi and Saarika, and now even Roshni, don’t want to accept her as Ujjwal’s wife. Her self-worth crumbles further, and she feels like she doesn’t deserve Ujjwal.

Ujjwal is still talking with his uncle.

"So, how’s work going?" his uncle asks.

"It’s going well, but-"

"But what?"

"There’s this client (Saaransh) who’s getting notices from the income tax department. His case is quite unique; I’ve never handled anything like it before," Ujjwal explains.

"Just do your work with honesty, and everything will fall into place. Got it?" his uncle encourages him.

"Hmm."

"I am coming," his uncle says, leaving Ujjwal with Vihaan, who had been standing by the whole time.

"You deserve better," Vihaan says, with his hands in his pockets.

"What do you mean?" Ujjwal asks, confused.

"What did you even see in her? She’s not even beautiful," Vihaan says, trying to make Ujjwal feel bad.

"She is beautiful. You just need to see her through my eyes."

"You still have time, leave her and marry someone else. You’ll never be happy with her. She is-" Vihaan suggests, pretending to care about Ujjwal, though he really doesn’t.

"Don't you dare say another word. I respect uncle a lot, or else I would’ve knocked all your teeth out by now," Ujjwal says angrily.

Vihaan is hurt by Ujjwal’s words but decides not to respond. He plans to get back at Ujjwal when the time is right.

Meanwhile, Ishika feels like she has been in the washroom for too long. She washes her face and steps out.

Ujjwal, who had been looking for her, smiles as Ishika walks up to him.

___________________________________________

Thank you so much for 1000+ views