A Letter from the Future

Title - A Letter from the Future
Ship - Nil
Top - Nil
Bottom - Nil
Au - Non Idol Au
Warnings/Tags - Nil
Summary - Kim Seungmin is indecisive while stuck on a matter involving his future, although he already has a preference. Would an unexpected letter be of help?
Word count - 2570

Seungmin sat at his desk, the hum of city life barely reaching the window of his off-campus apartment. He had just returned home from another long day at university, his mind buzzing with indecision.

On one hand, there was the career everyone expected him to pursue, a stable, corporate job that promised security. While on the other, there was his passion; photography. He knew choosing it meant uncertainty, risk, and the chance of failure, but it called to him in a way the safe option never could.

For years, he had always wanted to become a photographer, loving nothing more than taking pictures, editing them, and sharing them with the people around him.

It had all started when he was ten years old, and his grandfather gifted him a camera for his birthday. He had been so ecstatic to capture every moment since then. He never wanted to stop.

“What should I do? I really want to make my parents proud but I also want to live out my dreams. I wanna be happy, but I also don't want to be a disappointment.” Seungmin mutters to himself with a sigh. Head in his hands, resting on the table, he contemplates his life choices.

He was already in his second year in university. He had come to terms with the reality of things long ago, so why did buried emotions have to resurface?

He was fine the semester prior to this one, but after being at home, surrounded by his childhood memories and dreams, he could not help but feel a sense of loss. A sense of longing.

He had learned to let go of his dreams, but after the long stay at home, he just found it harder to let go now more than ever.

It was always his great passion. Although he had to put it to a stop when his parents gave him a call to reality.

He needed a stable job. He needed to study a good course in order to ensure a proper job after graduation.

His parents had always made it clear that they did not support his decision to follow photography as a career path. It was a lovely hobby, his mother said, but could not ensure him a comfortable future.

So he took their words for it and decided to go with their choices. He got into the university they wanted, studying what they chose for him. He was going to make them proud, make them happy… at the expense of his own happiness.

Seungmin's train of thoughts was interrupted by a knock at the door. Which made him rise to his feet and head for the door.

Upon opening the door, he was met with no one, but after looking around, even almost shutting the door, he noticed an envelope on the floor.

“Huh, maybe the mailman dropped it off and just left.” He says to himself as he bends to pick up the envelope. Closing his door back.

He returned to his desk, where he observed the delivery, which seemed to be a letter of some sort.

It did not look like any of his usual bills, and he knew no one who would write a letter to him, except it was soft copy.

Furthermore, the letter had no postage, no return address, just his name, written in a script eerily similar to his own.

He opened the envelope, unraveling the single paper inside of it before proceeding to read the words.