Twenty Six

Sebastian

I had the weirdest dream about Fiona. For one, it wasn't a sex dream. The few times I dreamt about her were wet dreams. Secondly, we were on a boat ride watching the stars in silence. Third, I didn't hate it. I'm not the biggest fan of staying quiet so the fact that dream me enjoyed that is a shock. Even more of a shock is that dream Fiona was smiling. If Fiona smiles she's either laughing at me or playing into her Fiona Smith alias. She plays it with ease. She's gotten so good at pretending to be my loving wife and an upbeat gym owner. I used to see it as annoyingly robotic precision, but really she just puts her all into it. She's been through so much but she keeps going and living life on her own terms.

On the car drive to the therapist office, I see a woman that reminds me so much of my mom I almost crash. I was too young to remember her when she died, but I've seen enough pictures to know her face.

At the therapist office I see my usual Tuesday clients. There's a new one on the list and it's one of the ballet moms from Holly's studio.

I still can't believe I didn't realize they were racists. They don't go around yelling Trump 2024 or say weird shit about "woke people" like Harry Dawson so I didn't notice anything off. I feel like shit.

I spend my session with the ballet mom trying not to roll my eyes. She flirts with me a little then spends the rest of the session just ranting about how awful her mother-in-law is. Her mother-in-law does actually suck, but I still hate her racist ass.

"Ok well I'll see you next time." I state.

"Ok. Thank you so much Dr Smith. You're such a good listener." She compliments. She rests her hand on my forearm and lightly scratches me with her manicured nails.

"Thanks. My wife agrees as well."

"I feel like I never see her around town. It's almost like she doesn't live here." The woman laughs.

How passive aggressive

"Well she works as much as I do at the gym she owns so that could be why. Maybe we'll see you one day for the couples class we host." I respond.

"My husband and I are recently divorced so we won't be going there. I've got a Pilates thing this weekend though. Will you be there to teach that?"

"I actually will." I say.

I notice her face brighten up when I reveal that.

"Fiona and I will both lead that class." I add in.

Her face falls and she finally leaves.

The receptionist calls my office phone to let me know I've got another client in a half hour. That's when Opal calls me

"I swear this company hates me! I've got to go to Antarctica for my next job." She complains.

"Damn. I've never even had to go that far." I comment.

"I get to freeze my ass off while you get a hot fake wife."

"A mean and hot fake wife." I correct.

"Ugh, that's exactly my type in women." She groans.