Fourteen

Sebastian

AN: 8 years ago (Age 18)

It's almost been two years since Silas's death. Ever since his death i haven't taken a break from work. I keep taking on new missions or throwing myself into new relationships to avoid sitting alone with my thoughts. If that doesn't work I just run around town partying or going to bars with my friends at Rex. It's times like this where I wish my mom was still alive. I'm sure she'd be better company than dad. He made sure to cover up the real cause of Silas's death so people think he died a hero on a failed mission. He doesn't bring him up at home and pretends like nothing has changed. Maybe it's not really pretending. None of us were ever close before and because I wasn't being raised to be the next director of Rex, he cared even less about me. It's the same treatment but Silas isn't there to bear it with me.

"Master Sebastian, dinner is served." Our butler announces.

"Thank you Culley."

It's my birthday so the chef made steak for dinner. He knows it's my favorite food. I'm shocked to see my dad is already seated when i enter the dining room. He was never into sappy, emotional stuff like spending birthdays together, even with his own sons. In fact, he was only that way with my mom . Although, according to what my mom told Silas before she died, that changed the second grandad chose my uncle to be director instead of my dad. He probably blames his love for my mom for "distracting him from his duties as an agent" and thinks it's why he never became director.

"Hello son. Finally getting home i see." He judges. I roll my eyes and walk to the table.

"What was i supposed to do? Spend my birthday here with you?" I sass back.

"Don't be ridiculous. You should be training. You are in peak physical form. No need to waste that and go out partying." He comments. He takes a sip of his wine and stares back at me with the usual disappointed look.

I was going to do a short cardio workout tonight but now i'm gonna give myself the day off.

"Yeah whatever. I'll train tomorrow." I say, taking a seat at the table.

"Of course. Always taking the lazy approach to things."

"You always call my methods lazy but i'm the one who became an agent at 15. Maybe my methods work."

"For now they do. What happens when you can no longer coast by with talent and bad habits?"

"I guess I'll retire." I grunt. I stab my steak and cut off a piece.

I'll admit I like to fuck around while i'm on the job. And I usually start reading the case file on the way there. But i still get my missions done. Always. I know how to balance work and fun. Besides, it drives him crazy seeing me succeed even when i goof off. I decided a long time ago to keep it up just for that reason.

"Master Fordham, your brother is here to see you."

"Send him to the office. I'll be right there." My dad responds.

He finishes his food and stands up to leave. Before he exits the room, he kicks a box towards my feet.

"These were intended to be used today, but i guess they won't be opened until tomorrow." He huffs. He leaves and goes to meet with my uncle.