-||Chapter Thirty Four||-

Jongho
"It should've been me."

Jongho sat in the cold room, the chill seeping through the thin fabric of his clothes, sending shivers down his spine. He looked down at Yeosang, whose head was resting against his leg, the gentle rise and fall of his chest a soothing rhythm in the otherwise tense atmosphere. Yeosang had finally succumbed to sleep after what felt like an eternity of retching, and Jongho couldn't help but feel a wave of relief wash over him. The quiet that enveloped them was a fragile sanctuary, a brief escape from the chaos that had consumed their lives.

The room was dimly lit, shadows dancing along the walls as the fading light from the outside world struggled to penetrate the gloom. Jongho leaned back against the cold wall, trying to find some comfort in the hard surface, but it offered little solace. His mind was a whirlwind of thoughts, each one more turbulent than the last. He glanced at Hongjoong, who sat a distance away, his posture rigid and tense. The sight of Hongjoong's fingers clawing at his arm sent a jolt of concern through Jongho. He knew what that meant; he had seen it before, the way Hongjoong would resort to self-harm as a means of coping with the overwhelming emotions that threatened to engulf him.

Jongho didn't question Hongjoong's actions. He had learned long ago that pushing for answers only pushed Hongjoong further away. Instead, he focused on Yeosang, brushing a hand through his soft hair, hoping to convey some sense of comfort through the simple gesture. The warmth of Yeosang's presence grounded him, reminding him of the bond they all shared, even in the darkest of times.

As he watched Hongjoong, Jongho felt a familiar ache in his chest. He wanted to reach out, to pull Hongjoong from the depths of his despair, but he feared that his words might fall flat, that they might only serve to deepen the chasm between them. The silence in the room was heavy, filled with unspoken fears and regrets, and Jongho wished for a way to break that silence without shattering the fragile peace they had found.

Minutes stretched into what felt like hours, and Jongho's thoughts began to spiral. He recalled the events leading up to this moment: the chaos, the fear, the relentless fight for survival against forces they couldn't fully comprehend. Each memory was a sharp reminder of the stakes they faced, and he felt the weight of responsibility settle heavily on his shoulders. He was supposed to be the strong one, the one who held the group together, but in moments like this, he felt anything but strong.

Suddenly, a soft groan broke the silence, and Jongho's heart raced as he looked down at Yeosang. He was still asleep, but the signs of distress were evident on his face. Jongho gently shook his leg, whispering softly, "Yeosang, it's okay. You're safe." He hoped his words would reach him, that they would provide some comfort in the depths of his dreams.

Hongjoong's gaze flicked up at the sound of Jongho's voice, and for a brief moment, their eyes met. There was a flicker of understanding, a silent acknowledgment of the pain they were all feeling. Jongho felt a surge of determination. He couldn't let Hongjoong spiral further down this path. He needed to find a way to help him, to pull him back from the edge.

"Hongjoong," Jongho said softly, breaking the heavy silence that hung in the air. "You don't have to do this alone." He kept his voice steady, trying to convey the sincerity of his words. "We're all in this together. You can talk to me."

Hongjoong's fingers stilled, and he looked up, his eyes reflecting a mixture of pain and vulnerability that Jongho rarely saw. For a moment, the world around them faded away, leaving just the two of them in their shared struggle. Jongho felt a glimmer of hope. Maybe, just maybe, this was the moment Hongjoong needed to hear those words.

"I know it's hard," Jongho continued, his heart racing as he spoke. "But you don't have to carry this burden by yourself. We're here for you. I'm here for you." He shifted slightly, positioning himself closer to Hongjoong, hoping to bridge the distance that had grown between them.

Hongjoong's gaze dropped to the floor, and for a long moment, he was silent. Jongho could see the internal battle raging within him, the struggle between wanting to reach out and the instinct to retreat into himself. Jongho held his breath, waiting for Hongjoong to respond, praying that he would find the strength to let someone in.

Soon, Seongwha entered the room, a wave of warmth washed over him, and before he could even process his surroundings, Hongjoong was upon him. The embrace was tight and filled with an unspoken understanding, a moment that felt both fragile and precious. The air was thick with tension, yet there was a comfort in their connection, a reminder that they were not alone in this fight.

Jongho sat a few steps away, watching the scene unfold with a soft smile on his face, feeling a mix of happiness and concern for his friends. He admired the way Hongjoong's eyes sparkled with relief and affection, a stark contrast to the heaviness that hung in the air. It was a small moment of solace amidst the chaos they faced.

He turned his gaze to Yeosang, who lay peacefully asleep on his leg, oblivious to the world around him. Jongho's fingers gently brushed along Yeosang's face, tracing the contours with a tenderness that spoke volumes about their bond. He could feel the warmth radiating from Yeosang's skin, yet it did little to ease the chill creeping into his heart. The room was filled with a quiet tension, the kind that only comes when something significant hangs in the balance.

Breaking the moment, Hongjoong pulled back slightly, his eyes narrowing as he noticed the fresh bite mark on Seongwha's hand. "Why do you have another bite mark?" he asked, concern lacing his voice. Seongwha sighed, his expression shifting to one of resignation. "I had to bite myself to stay in control of my urges," he admitted, the weight of his words settling heavily in the air. The admission hung between them like a specter, a reminder of the constant struggle they faced against their own natures.

Jongho, still watching Yeosang, felt the urgency of their situation pressing down on him. "How is Yeosang?" Seongwha asked, his voice low and serious, the gravity of their reality evident in his tone. Jongho swallowed hard, his heart aching at the sight of his friend. "He's out cold," he replied, his voice trembling slightly. "There's not much time until he can't get help." As he spoke, he felt the sting of tears threatening to spill over, the fear of losing someone he cared about overwhelming him.

The silence that followed was deafening. Each of them was lost in their thoughts, grappling with the reality of their situation. Hongjoong's mind raced as he tried to think of a solution, a way to save Yeosang before it was too late. He glanced at Seongwha, who was staring at the floor, deep in thought. There was a flicker of determination in his eyes, a spark that gave Hongjoong hope.

"Seongwha," Hongjoong said, breaking the silence. "Is there anything we can do? Any way to help him?" Seongwha looked up, his brow furrowed in concentration. "We need to find a way to stabilise his condition. If he's not treated soon, the effects could be irreversible."

Jongho felt a pang of despair at Seongwha's words. "But how? We don't have much time!" he exclaimed, his voice rising in frustration. The fear of losing Yeosang was palpable, and it fueled Jongho's desperation.

Seongwha took a deep breath, trying to calm the rising tension. "I don't know." Hongjoong and Jongho exchanged glances, a flicker of hopelessness surged through them.