Chapter #23

CHAPTER #23

Z's POV:

I rubbed my eyes and tried to sit up.

"Easy there. Lie down," I heard a distorted voice. I peeled my eyes open and tried to associate a face with the voice. It was Ray. He had a very concerned look as he pushed some hair off my forehead. I looked around from my laying down position and saw Sky on the phone, rapidly talking.

"Oh, she's up. I'll have to go, thank you," she said and came up to me. "Hey Z. Do you want something to eat or drink? I could make you a salad or something?"

"Yeah, that'd be great. My throat is parched; could you make me an iced tea too?"

"Yeah, yeah. Anything you want. I'll leave you two alone now, I'll be back."

"Okay, thanks," I said, smiling a little. She closed the door on her way out and I looked at Ray as he sighed.

"What's wrong?" I croaked. He looked down at me like he was analysing my face or something and then slowly lowered himself onto his back so we were both lying down, shoulders touching. I took his hand and this time, I didn't say anything. He would tell me if he wanted me to know. We stayed like that for a while until he said,

"Are you okay now?"

"Yeah, why wouldn't I be?"

"You mean- wait; don't you remember anything?"

"Other than reading some note and then passing out, no, not really. What happened?"

"Oh. It's not something you'd like to remember, so just put everything out of your head, yeah? Forget it."

"Okay then. I've forgotten a lot of things anyway, so this is no different I suppose." He clenched my hand tighter and a few minutes later, we heard a knock on the door.

"It's probably Sky, can you get it?" I asked. He came back a minute later with a glass of iced tea. When I finished drinking it, I laid down again, staring at the ceiling. He resumed his place and we didn't say a word.

"I, uh, have something to tell you. I don't know if it's the right time; in fact; I'm certain it's not the right time. It's not the right place either. It's just perfectly wrong but I feel the need to tell you," he said in a rush and then went silent.

"Ray, what is it?"

"I know you're going to hate me after this but-"

"You are such a girl. I will not hate you, just tell me," I said, swatting his side.

"I've known Aaron for a while; all my life actually. We're... cousins."

RAY'S POV:

"I know I should have told you as soon as you brought him up but...I couldn't. I don't expect you to understand any of this and I will give you all the time in the world to figure out what you want to do. I'm so sorry, but I honestly didn't have a choice. I thought I'd tell you soon after we started talking but I chickened out and when I finally gathered to muster up some strength; I couldn't. Again. I didn't want to jeopardize our friendship and I sure as hell don't want to lose you. Not after all this. I don't know what you're going to assume. I just hope you don't think Aaron forced me into doing anything, because he didn't. I did all of this because I had a choice and I wanted to do everything in my will to help you. Just know that I'm not going to stop; ever. I'm sorry, Z. I really am."

I took a deep breath in and waited for a reaction. A few minutes later, I couldn't stand the silence; we were used to silence but this was the first time it was uncomfortably hanging around.