Chapter #27

CHAPTER#27

It was finally the day. The past week had gone agonizingly slowly. Mom was back though, so it wasn't too bad; other than the fact that I got to meet Noah today. My stomach was churning. I knew that if I sat idle, my brain would become a shrine for all things bad. So I distracted myself by spending time with mom and Sky; and of course, Ray came over at least once a day. Usually, Ray, Sky and I would sit outside in the garden and just talk. And Sky and I discussed how we'd treat Noah once he was back home.

When we were with mom, she was fine. I mean, she wasn't hallucinating that much, she took her meds and most importantly- she hadn't gotten angry or anything to do something rash. She had tears in her eyes when we gave her the earrings the night she came home. Yeah, it runs in the family. We sneaked in the fact that Noah might come home soon and oh, her face just lit up. She was so happy.

I looked at my watch for the hundredth time, wondering when Adam would come. It was 3:57. He said he'd be here before 4. I sat alone in the library. Mom was asleep and Sky was in her room, she said she'd come down in a minute. Ray said he wouldn't come, which was just so sweet of him. I know how weird that sentence looks but, really. He said he would feel really guilty if he intruded in on such a personal moment.

The bell interrupted my thoughts as I scrambled to get the door. It was Adam.

"Took you long enough!" I said, glaring pointedly. He looked at his watch.

"It's 3:59. God, this drama thing runs in your blood, I tell you. You ready to go?" I looked at my skull ring. I remember Sky taking it out of a book and giving it to me, saying Noah had gotten it for me. I never took it off. I took in a deep breath.

"No, but let's go. Oh wait, let me tell Sky," I replied, going up the stairs. "Hey Sky, we're leaving."

"Well. I don't know what to say. Punch him, or slap him. Or do both, I don't care just bring him home," she said, throat closing up. I hugged her and nodded.

Adam and I got into his car; we were silent for the most part.

"Do you think he'll come home?" I asked, after about ten minutes. I studied the expression on Adam's face. He looked straight ahead but I could see his jaw clench as he spoke.

"I honestly hope so. I highly doubt he'll come back right now, but sooner or later, I think he will. He has to, I mean, why wouldn't he?"

"Yeah, you're right." He half smiled at me and said we were two minutes away. I recognized the area. I saw the goons who chased us the last time. My heart started beating so fast I could have been tough competition for a woodpecker. They soon went away for some reason. I just hoped they wouldn't come back. My palms were sweaty and I could feel my vision slightly blurring but I blinked rapidly to make it go away. He parked the car a little away from the graffiti walls and gestured for me to get down. I slowly slid out and held onto the door handle for support.

"It'll be okay, come on." I nodded and followed him. I saw the tall, lean figure at the same place I had seen him the last time. I took a shaky breath as I walked towards him. The unmistakable ring on his right hand; the tattoo on his forearm- this was him. I was right all along.

"Noah," I whispered. He didn't move an inch; I figured it was because he couldn't hear me. "Noah?" I said, a little louder. He turned slowly as if in a daze and that's when I realized he was crying. He took me by my arms and pulled me into an air tight hug. I was sobbing as I grabbed hold of his shirt and hugged him back. His shoulders were shaking; I felt his tear stained face on the side of my neck; I breathed in the familiar scent. I vowed never to let him go again.