Chapter #8

AUTHORS NOTE: SORRYYYYYYYY FOR NOT UPDATING FOR SO LONG! I JUST HAVENT FOUND TIME TO ACTUALLY SIT AND WRITE FOR QUITE SOME TIME, SO YEAH. SORRY :( PLEASE DONT STOP READING.

ENJOY!

CHAPTER #8

...... 3 weeks later...

Washed hair left loose; check. Black tee with skulls; check. My trusty blue ripped jeans; check. Sneakers; check. Lots of eyeliner; check and lastly, my all-time favourite black backpack; check. I was staring at myself in the mirror, looking decent after quite a while. For the past few weeks, all I wore were old baggy t shirts and oversized shirts with either shorts or leggings. I looked quite homeless, I must say.

Anyway, I gave myself a last once- over and walked down to breakfast. Hmm. I could smell waffles. Oh, how I missed eating all this in Juvie. I sat down at the table and waited. Mom came over with a plate of steaming waffles and maple syrup in a few minutes.

"Thanks mom, you're the best," Sky came in and took the plate out of mom's hands and walked off.

"Hey! Those were mine," I said and stalked out after her. She kept walking.

"Sky!" I screamed after her.

We had reached the drawing room. It was the biggest room in the house- three sides of the room filled with bookshelves storing thousands of books and the other side- floor to ceiling windows with drapes showcasing historical scenes. It was quite the sight.

Sky put the plate down on the wooden coffee table, walked straight up to the bookshelves on the right; looking for something in particular. She picked out 'The Iliad' by Homer.

"Um, Sky. Why did you pick that up? Are you going to start quoting the Iliad? I know Homer's a great guy but now's not the time for-"

"Here," she said, handing me something. It was a beautiful silver skull ring. I know, calling a skull ring 'beautiful' is weird, but that's how I was; I loved skulls.

"Sky, where did you get this? It's beautiful."

"It's from Noah. He bought this a long time ago, said he'd give it to you on your first day of college. He's not here now, so I thought, why let it sit here forever? So I'm giving it to you. And it's a skull, so he knew it'd make you happy."

I didn't know what to say. I seem to be rendered speechless a lot lately. So I just stood there, admiring the ring when Sky said,

"So, are we going to eat or what?"

I looked up to see her smiling.

"Let's go," I replied.

"No, wait," I called again.

Sky turned back.

"Why did you give it here and not in front of mom? Would it have triggered some sort of reaction?"

"Yeah, I suppose it would have. And also, there's no way I'm lugging this book all the way to the table and then back."

I gave her a look asking why she needed the book to give me the ring. She opened the book to show a gaping hole in the middle of the pages.

Oh, that was clever. I nodded in appreciation and we walked out together.

We finished eating in about 15 minutes and we were about to leave when,

"All the best, dear. Have a wonderful time and do make some friends," mom said.

I said,

"Yeah mom, thanks, I will."