Shift

I'm on my first few steps to my  Alpha's den when a piercing hot pain lances up my chest. What the-

"Can't... Breathe," I wheeze out. Instantly, Maria is at my side. She feels my forehead and yelps in alarm. "You're shifting!"

"W-Water?" I ask weakly. "Please?"

Instead, she hauls me to the forest clearing and call for help. Turning to me, she adds, "I don't know what's wrong! Normal females would have been halfway done by now- you're not even on four legs!"

I clutch my chest, and notice that my hands are slowly, ever so slowly, growing thicker, and I can feel myself growing.

Agony. Burning agony.

I scream as I try to stand and my hind legs buckle. "Sh*t!"

"Don't worry, Tasha," comes the soothing voice of our Omega, Jake. "I've got some water for you."

He douses my hair and head, then proceeds to overturn the entire bottle on my body. I moan as the heat is dulled, then it flares back, ten times hotter.

"It's not heat," Jake mutters to Maria. "Something's different."

"I know, Omega!" she snaps. When he flinches, I notice her soften. "She's going to have to fight this on her own. Whatever's wrong-"

Her voice is drowned out by my howl as my body is rapidly changed, fur rippling into being as my body rolls over onto its legs. All four of them.

"Damn it! It's not possible!" Jake gasps, sounding panicked. Maria touches my shoulder gently. I turn with a snarl. Stop it!

No, you stop it!

Wolf?

Pleased to meet you.

What is your name?

I'm you dumbass.

Great. My wolf is just great.

I heard that!

I know, I snarl back.

Suddenly, I realize that my Alpha has arrived.

She is shivering with fury as fur threatens to grow.

What's wrong? I ask my wolf.

Thought you weren't talking to me.

Please?

Ugh, fine. Look at my fur!

I look down at my paws.

My paws.

Shut up.

What the heck? I'm pure white. WHITE! As in, Alpha Female colors?

I'm not an Alpha! If anything, I'm down there with Jake!

"Tasha," a voice says, snapping me out of my thoughts. I look up. Maria I recognize because I saw her while I shifted, but I cannot distinguish the others except by scent. And Alpha, her scent just reeks. Why do I hate it so much?

The answer comes in a heartbeat.

She flies at me, changing swiftly into a wolf half way.

Howling with shock, I'm bowled over as my Alpha stands over me, foaming at the teeth. She growls in my mind, What have you done, you useless child?!

Useless? Hey, lady, I only take that from my father! Wait- no, that's wrong...

I whine. I'm sorry!

Maria steps forward. "Since there are now two Alphas in the pack, one must either die or be driven out," she announces. A whimper escapes my throat. Die?!

Hey, you wanted to shift. Sorry.

Fine. Now shut up.

I snarl as my once-trusted Alpha bites down on my leg. Submit! she howls. I growl and wrench my leg from her grasp. Immediately, I dart my paw at her head and she tilts it back. Begging my wolf to take over, I am rewarded with the instinct to shoot forward and tear her throat open.

I hold her throat lightly between my teeth before I realize it, but I do not bite down. Submit!

Never, she snarls back. Useless pup, just kill-

Tired of all this talking, my wolf takes over for a moment and snaps her neck.

Sh*t.