A New Me

A year later:

A year has passed since my graduation party and things have changed for the better. I am now Parker Leigh Wright Chapman. My dad adopted me right before I turned nineteen. I know that you only need a guardian till you are 18 but it was something that he and I wanted to do that no one can ever take away from us. Dakota and I have our one year anniversary in three days and I couldn't be happier with him. I am still in the family business of bounty hunting but I am going to college to get my business degree. I am getting my two year degree so I will graduate after two more semesters. We went to court and Shuan get put away in jail for a year and he almost ready to see if he can get out and be on probation but dad and grandpa promised me they would go to that hearing and do everything in their power to make sure he stays in jail. Dad is being weird right now, every time I bring up anything to do with Dakota he changes the subject like I didn't even say anything. I am starting to believe Dakota has something planned for our anniversary. I roll out of bed and jump into the shower. I wash away the worry and get out and put on my bounty clothes. I run into Dad's room to find him and Dakota talking. They shut up right when I come in the room. I say "what are you doing here babe?"

"Uh, just talking to your dad." Dakota says.

I look at dad and he nods his head and I say "can you please braid my hair into the katniss braid."

"Of course."

I sit down in front of him and he braids my hair. I say "Wanna come talk?" I say to Dakota.

He follows me to my bedroom and sits on the bed while I sit in front of my mirror on the wall preparing to do my makeup. I start putting on foundation when he says "What do you want to do for our anniversary?"

"I don't know, I thought you were planning it."

"I am but I just wanted you input just incase so I don't miss anything."

"well it needs to be something fun but romantic."

"Good because tonight we are leaving to go to California."

"Say what?"

"Happy anniversary and this is just my first surprise."

I run up and hug him and kiss him gently. He gladly accepts my kiss pulling me in to make the kiss deeper. Dad knocks on the door and coughs. I yell "DAD!!!"

"well if you would stop I wouldn't have to intrude on you and anyway you have five minutes till we leave."

"Ok."

"I have to go now but I will see you at work."

He kisses me goodbye. I finish my makeup and go into the kitchen and grab a Gatorade and banana. I quickly eat it and grab my keys and bounty suit stuff. I put my stuff in my vehicle and then go back inside to brush my teeth. I lock the door and hop into my black Ford F150. I rev the engine and drive to work. When I pull in I suit up and then walk into the office to see Grandma. She says "Hey granddaughter."

"Hey grandma Beth."

"So do you have any exiting news you would like to tell me?"

"Ok I know you already know but I am going to California tonight for my anniversary."

"I am so exited for you and Dakota."

"Me too."

"Grandpa wants everyone to go t the meeting room, I am heading there right now."

I nod my head and follow her to the room. I take a seat next to Dakota on the couch. He automatically slides an arm around me. Grandpa says "Okay first let me say congratulations to you two on your anniversary since I won't see you then." he comes over and hugs us and I says "Thanks grandpa."

"Now today we are catching Mike Huckabell. He is 23 and failed to appear and is wanted for drugs and assault. So suit up and we are going to the primary address."

We walk to the cars and Dad says "You are driving me and Dakota today."

I nod and hop in the driver seat of one of the black SUV's. They pile in shortly after they have geared up. I follow grandpa to the address and right before we get there I unlock all the doors for the guys to hop out. We pull up and the boys pile out. I shut the car off and run to the back with Dad and I hold my mace in my hand. the fugitive comes out the back window and dad points the mace gun at him and says "Don't Fucking move."

he drops to his knees realizing that he has been defeated. I run up behind him and grab his hands and cuff him. I throw him in the back of Grandpa's SUV and we pull off and head towards the local jail. Dad takes him and books him. He comes back out and we gather in a circle with hands clasped together. We pray and thank God for keeping us safe. We head back to the shop and Dakota and I are cleared to go home and pack. I drive home and unlock the house and walk in. I go to my room and pull out my favorite suitcase that has my name on it. Inside the bag is a list of what to bring. I pick out three dresses and throw in my shorts and t-shirts. I pack the right shoes and everything else I would need. As if on que Dakota arrives to pick me up. I grab my backpack with my laptop and earphones in it. He says "My princess, are you ready to go?"

"Always anywhere with my prince."

"I love you Parker."

"I love you too Dakota."

I hop into the passenger side of his vehicle. He drives to the airport and we pull up to our own private jet. I say "You didn't have to do all of this."

"Yes I did because it was for you."

TWO DAYS LATER:

Dakota and I have done so many fun things these past two days. We have zip lined and be tourists. Tonight he disappeared and the only thing he left me was a note to go to the beach but to wear one of my dresses. I take a shower and blow dry and curl my hair and put on a long maxi dress that is teal and white chevron. I slip on my sandals and walk down to the beach. I step onto the beach and see a sign that says "This way Parker."

I walk the way of the arrow to see Grandpa standing by a sign with a rose. The sign says "I have enjoyed the 365 days I have spent with you and the many more to come." Grandpa hands me a rose and I am so confused on what is going on but he hugs me and says "keep walking."

I walk a little bit farther to see Grandma Beth. Her sign says "I have never been so in love with anyone else." She hands me another rose and hugs me.

I walk again and find Leland next and his sign says "You have become family and no family never gets left behind." He hands me a rose and says "Take care of my boy."

I walk up to the next sign to find Will and his sign says "So let's make it official." He hands me a rose and gives me a kiss on the cheek.

I walk to the next area to find my dad and his sign says "You will always have my blessing for anything you do in your life and he asked and I blessed him asking you."

I start to cry realizing what is happening. Dakota has to be proposing. I walk to the next sign to find Dakota to find him in a polo and khaki shorts. His sign says "Now here comes the question that will mean the most out of anything I could ever ask in my life."

I see him bend on one knee and realize everyone has gathered around me form the other sign and are now video taping me and I am balling like a baby when he says "Parker, I have loved you since I first ever layed eyes on you. You have made me who I am today which is a better man . We have been through the ups and downs of life and came out closer and loving each other more. I promise to take care of you and love every day. Parker what I am trying to say is, Parker will you marry me."

I see him pull out a black box and open it to reveal a huge diamond ring. I say "........"