Chapter 8: A New Friend

CHAPTER 8: A NEW FRIEND

JOSH'S POV

I saw the girl too. I walked up and asked her, "What's your name?"
Sam replied, "Josh! Never ask a girl her name first!" Then he sat down and asked in the nicest voice I've ever seen him use, "What's wrong?"
The girl looked up and said, "Sorry. My name is Elle. Who are you guys?"
Sam got up. "I'm Sam." Then he pointed to each of us in unison. "These are my friends. Elle, meet Josh, Luke, Sean, Shanna, Landon, and Anastasia. Nice to meet you. So why were you crying?"
Elle stood up and said, "Sorry. I've been held captive by the Sins. It all happened 6 months ago. I was lying in my bed, trying to sleep, when all of a sudden, this dark figure stood in front of my bed. He yelled, 'Here's Johnny!' and picked me up. I tried to fight him off, but he and the other Sins tied me up. They took me to the pit, and put me in my quarters. I escaped, but now I'm lost and can't find my home. That's why I was crying."
I saw the others laughing when Elle talked about her capture. Anastasia told her, "We've been captured too, and we've just escaped." Sam whispered, "Shut up before I mute you all, because I can." Then Sam asked, "So, do you have any, um, powers? Cause each of us do."
Elle giggled. Then she said, "As a matter of fact, I do. It's feelings."
"Feelings?" Luke asked. "Really?"
"Yeah, really."
Almost everyone snickered, except for Anastasia and Sam. Then Luke said, while still laughing, "What kind of power is that?"
Elle giggled and said, "Like this."
Suddenly, Shanna and Sean turned to each other and started to fight. "WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE!?!?" Shanna screamed at Sean. And then, as Sean was just about to slug Shanna, they started hugging. We all watched in amazement.
I turned to Elle. "How did you do that?" I asked her.
"It's easy!" she replied. "I just look deep into their minds and sense how they feel. Then I concentrate really hard, and I can change how they feel!"
"Okay..." I said. Elle seemed a little unstable to me, but right as I was about to say that, I got a look at Sam. He stared at Elle like he... liked her? Then Elle got a look at Sam. She gasped. They gazed at each other for a minute. Luke finally snapped his fingers. "SNAP OUT OF IT! No time for love here! This is serious."
Sam looked at Luke. "Yes. Let's move on." he said weakly.

ELLE'S POV (YAY FOR NEW POV'S)

When I got a deep look at Sam, I thought I didn't have to see his feelings to know what he thought. He.... liked me. And I liked him back; the way he treated me with respect.
The small, brunette girl, who I think was Shanna, asked me, "Do you like Sam, Elle?"
I wanted to say, "Yes, yes I do." but before I could, the dirty blond kid yelled, "Okay, now there's eight of us. That should be more than enough to stop the Sins."
Of course. EVERYTHING'S about getting rid of the Sins. I was about to say that, but I happened to take a look to my right. There were a ton of guards. I pointed that out to Luke, and he yelled, "HIDE!"
We all ran to a small room and got down. Luke used his.... alchemy, I guess, to glue the doors shut, and open a hole in the wall for us to escape.. I looked over to see Sam right next to me. He blushed, and I could feel my cheeks burning too. We were so close to each other I couldn't help it.
I looked down to see our hands close to each other. I was about to scoot mine closer when Luke said, "All clear. Let's move quickly."
As we moved along, I tried to scoot closer to Sam (and I thought he was trying to scoot closer to me) but Luke kept giving us glares that made my skin crawl.
Anastasia whispered, "Hey, Elle, you must like Sam. Do you?"
I nodded. I wished Luke could understand love. It feels like every time I tried to get with Sam, he'd interfere. I wanted to change his feelings about me, but I promised I'd only use my powers on the Sins.
I snuck a look at Sam.. He looked back at me. We gazed again. I could feel my cheeks blushing.
I knew Sam liked me. But did I REALLY like him back?
I can't sense my own feelings.

SAM'S POV

After getting a good look at Elle, I decided on one thing: I've seen many pretty girls in my life, but Elle was....
Beautiful. The way her silky, brown hair waved; the way her eyes looked at me; the way she walked. But her smile was the best. She smiled perfectly, all her white teeth shining in the sun.
As we walked, trying to find either Lockwood Inn or even home. Every hour, we took a rest for 5 minutes. During one rest, I sat next to Elle and asked her, "Why don't you tell me a little about yourself?"
I found out so much about her in a minute or so. Turns out she's the same age as me (well, she's about 8 months younger than me, but still), and in the same grade as us! She doesn't know where she's going to school next year, though, so I'm not sure if she'll stay with us.
Then our five minutes were up. It was nighttime, so Luke yelled, "TIME TO SLEEP!"
Every night, two people had to stay awake to keep watch. To keep sleep time even, one person stayed awake every hour. Guess who the two people were? Me and Elle.
We agreed that we could stay up together for a little bit, and then take shifts. Elle and I talked a little more. Turns out, Elle will be going to the same school I do, and she's in the same grade I'm in! (although she's 11)
The first person to get to fall asleep was me. After what seemed like only 20 minutes, Elle woke me up. "WHAT?" I almost yelled. Then I noticed the others were up, looking very alarmed.
I asked Luke, "Why are we all awake?"
He answered, "We have to go. The Sins are near us."