Chapter Ten - Trouble In The 18th Century

"How about somewhere in the past?" The Doctor suggested.

"Why not." I replied. We had never really been to the past before.

"The 1700s. Well go on, go change into something." Yes! I had finally got to check out the wardrobe. "Wait, where is it." And then we had to go through where the heck in the TARDIS it was but I eventually found it. I picked out a simple blue and black dress but I went against the fashion of the 18th Century and put on my black converse. The shoes in the 1700s were too uncomfortable. I tied a ribbon necklace thing around my neck. I didn't have the patience to do my hair like women did back then so I just curled my hair and made my way back to the console room. The Doctor didn't change his clothes so stayed in his strange tweed jacket and bowtie. "Ready?" He asked holding out his arm for me to hold. "Ready." I held his arm and we walked out of the TARDIS.

Just as I thought we were going to have a great time in the past we were stopped before we could even walk out of the doors. Guards in metal armour were pointing guns at us in a market. "Step out of the magic box." One ordered. We did as we were told and stood behind the guard with two still pointing their guns at us. The first guard looked in the TARDIS and was about to walk in when the Doctor clicked his fingers and the doors closed. "Witchcraft!" The guard shouting making people be quiet and look at what was going on. "You will come with us now."
"You see we would if - Look at that!" The Doctor said and pointed up at the sky. He grabbed my hand and we ran through the market. The guards were chasing after us but we were too fast for them. Good thing I wore converse.

The Doctor and I had finally got away from the guards by hiding behind a small house. We just stood there laughing for a moment then came out of our hiding place. "Oh, I nearly forgot." The Doctor said. He pulled out a key on a chain from his pocket and placed it around my neck. "TARDIS key. Big moment." He smiled making me smile then we walked through the market.

The market was bigger than I expected but we couldn't buy anything because we didn't have any money. We couldn't risk hanging around in the same place anyway just incase the guards came back. We got to the end of the market and carried on walking. The streets were busy with different people but poor families were out begging for food. It was hard to ignore them and carry on being cheerful.

Everything was going smoothly until we heard a gunshot coming from the market a few minutes away. Time to investigate! We ran to the middle of the market where the guards were standing around shouting something. "If anyone sees the strange man with the weird tie and brown coat or his accomplice in a blue dress step near the blue box over there report to one of the guards unless you want to be a victim of witchcraft." The head guard announced. The bad thing was that we were surrounded by people that heard the guard and some of them were looking at us and one shouted, "They're here!" Dang it. The Doctor grabbed my hand and we ran through the shouting people. They all tried different methods of getting rid of us. We were nearly out of the crowd until I was pulled backwards by some angry people that didn't want to let go. "Get off me. I'm not a witch!" I cried. "Doctor!"
"Anya!" The Doctor somewhere called out. I tried fighting my way out of the people's grip but they were too strong. The guards finally reached me. "Well, well. You're coming with us and will be publicly hanged tomorrow morning for witchcraft and disobeying orders." The head guard said and chuckled. "And your friend too." I looked around and the Doctor was nowhere to be seen. Even the guards couldn't see him. The guards arrested me and took me to the prisons without the Doctor but some guards were sent to find him. 

I was thrown into a dark cell in the prisons. "This will be your home until the morning young lady." The head guard said. "Now, what is your name?" I turned away from the guard to look at the dirty stone wall with my arms crossed. "Tell me your name I said!" I turned with my arms still crossed and groaned. "My name is Anya and that's all you're getting." I said.

"Good. Enjoy your last few hours witch." I had it with people calling me a witch. I went up to the bars and grabbed the guard before he could walk away. "Listen here mister! I am not a witch and you have no right to lock me in here. You may think you are going to kill me tomorrow but I will keep living and living. This is not witchcraft, this is Time Lady." He left me with a scared expression and ran. Ha, scaredy cat. I sat down in the corner and started worrying about the Doctor. Where the hell was that man and was he okay? I put the TARDIS key in my hand and squeezed it. I had hope in the Doctor. He was my friend, my best friend. I would trust him with my life. 

-------------------------------------------------

The Doctor's POV

I had escaped the guards and was being hidden in a small home with a woman called Mary and her husband John. It was nice of them but I had to get to Anya before the morning. God knows what they would do to her. John had offered to help me save Anya and we started to build a plan.

----------------------------------------------

Anya's POV

I was sat in my cell for hours in the quiet until someone from the cell opposite said, "Hello." I turned to see a small girl and boy huddling together. "Hello." I smiled and walked to the bars to get a closer look at them. "I'm Anya, what about you two?"

"I'm James and my sister is Hannah. I'm seven and she's four." James answered timidly.

"Why are you here?"

"Stole food from some rich man. You?"

"They think I'm a witch but they're wrong."

"You're not a witch, witches are mean and horrid. You're beautiful." Hannah said. She looked happy for a moment like a friend would look at another but she was scared. "Are you scared James?"

"We both are. Our parents are poor and our mother is recovering from an illness. We did it to help her." I could see Hannah about to burst out in tears. "Don't worry you two. I'm going to get us out of here." I took a pin out from my hair and unlocked both cells. I can't believe I didn't do this sooner. Both children thanked me and each others hands. We were escaping.