Chapter 14

The next day I woke up to bacon and eggs with a side of fruits. It wasn't Stevie's waffles. But it reminded me of a simple time. Plus,I do love eggs.

We both ate and talked about foolish things as if nothing had ever happened. We went through daily routines like doing dishes as if I've done them with her a million times before. It felt like I've lived here my entire life. Everything was natural. It took me awhile to get use to Stevie and Ally's. Here,felt like it was my home. Like I've chose the furniture myself and her and I decided on these cats. This place feels like my print is already here. I liked it. It gave me a certain comfort I much needed.

As we were in the middle of an OITNB marathon she noticed my sudden mood change. She threw popcorn at me and laughed.

"Hey,what's wrong kiddo? You ready to talk?"

Again,this felt natural. I guess knowing someone's history is one thing. But being apart of it is another. I guess sense she was apart of my history,it gave a connection that I didn't have with Stevie and Ally. It's like knowing about the Anne Frank and having a connection,but then going to her museum or reading her diary and becoming even more invested in her. Bad comparison I know. It was the best thing I could come up with.

"Yeah, I'm ready to talk."

She paused the show and gave me the bowl of popcorn,then handing me a box of tissues. I couldn't help but smile. She knew what I'd need.

"I'm just not sure how to feel. I know you dont like them all that well,but you don't get it. She was there for me. Hell they found me in a bar and took me home the first time they met me. I guess they never really weren't trying to take care of me. Stevie was the sister I never had. Almost everything was automatic with her. Everything. We all talk with nothing but a gaze,silence speaking more words than we could ever put together. Last night. She could've killed my dad. Not that he was much of one. Don't get me wrong they're my real family but in some fucked up twisted way. They are too. Besides the fact Stevie can do that. It's just. Insane. Is that her true colors that I've never seen? How can I trust her? How can I feel safe around her?"

"Well little Nikki. I can understand that. I mean sometimes you feel closer to people that you have no relation to than your own family. I mean you know I've always loved my step mom more than I have my real mom. So I can see where you're coming from with that. But this may or may not be Stevie's real colors. Your dad almost killed her woke up in a hospital figured out he tried to put his hands on you. She probably went into momma best mode or something sense you're the family she really cares about. She could've just snapped. Hell, if I seen him lay about hand on you. I probably would've shot him to. Maybe he wasn't after you in the moment. But she was trying to protect you. Nikki I still don't think you should go near her right now. If she can do that.. she can snap again. I'd hate to see her snap on you. Remember you can stay right here as long as you like. I'm always right here for you."

I couldn't quite tell if she was rooting for her or against her? Maybe both? Or maybe she's just trying to give me all view points? I knew what she was saying bit at the same time I had no idea. It did make me feel more calm though.

"Thanks T. I'm happy you're back in my life. Thanks for letting me crash here."

"I'm happy to be backed. You're a blessing. It's nice having you around anyway. You've always been my favorite cousin. What I afford at the hospital still stands. I'll take care of you as long always you like?"

"I might leave soon. I just need my head gathered. It was a lot last night. All that blood. To hear my father scream like that. It's horrifying."

"It sounds like you need out of my house for awhile. Sense I'm a living reminder of that night being there with you. If you need to go for awhile that's fine. But I'm not letting you go alone. You're still weak and recuperating. You could faint or have another anxiety attack. So if you're gonna go call Ally or Danny. I don't know someone I can trust with you."

"Steph okay?"

"She's perfect." She said smiling happy to see me trying to be happy rather than laying depressed. She likes to see me beating old habits.

I called Steph telling her I need out. Maybe to talk. She told me she'd be over as soon as possible to pick me up.