Chapter 87

Credit due to the original writer

_________

Chapter 87

He turned by the sound of me closing the door behind me. 

“Hey”, he said and turned. He’d been crying. He must have taken the break up hard then. 

“Hey”, I whispered.

“I’m sorry…”, he said and dried his tears. I realized he was speaking about the crying. 

“It’s ok, Annie told me everything”, I whispered. He looked up at me. 

“She did, everything?”, he whispered, looking shocked. 

“Yeah”, I nodded. “Everything?”.

“The thing about you too?”. 

“Yeah”. I took a deep breath. “The thing about me too”. 

“I wanted to tell you myself, but then I saw…”, he mumbled and I stopped him. I didn’t need to hear this. 

“I understand”, I didn’t understand at all. He felt sorry for me, he thought I was a child. He thought our friendship was a joke? It was all impossible for me to understand. But here he was, confirming it.

“You do?”, he asked, his eyes lighting up. Why was he happy about this. He didn’t feel bad about it at all. He had just ended out friendship. I didn’t reply, just trying not to cry. “I’m sorry, I should have told you how I felt before”, he whispered, taking a step closer. I backed off. 

“Yes, you should have”. 

“I’m sorry”, he said again. 

“Exactly”, I burst out. “You’re sorry, but I’m not a charity case, I don’t need your pity!”. 

“What?!”, he asked, like he didn’t know what I was talking about. “I guess”, he mumbled. “I guess you don’t feel the same then”. 

“Of course I don’t!”, I yelled. What the hell was he talking about? He looked up at me, like I had just punched him in the face. I took a deep breath, trying to calm myself down. 

“It’s not my fault I feel this way”, he said, his voice cracking. I looked at him and shook my head. I had nothing more to say. I was just a child in his eyes, he had grown away from me. A part of me felt something was very wrong, something was so wrong. This was not Niall. Niall would never say those things. But I had to accept, he had just spoken the words in my face. He, he felt nothing for me. I walked off, down the road. “Charlie, come back!”, I heard him call after me. I threw away my shoes and started running, running to wherever I could get away. I had fallen for Niall, and now… now this. It was too much to take.