Chapter 98

Credit due to the original writer

_________

Chapter 98

Charlie’s POV:

I sat still as he walked over to my table. He seemed scared that I would run away, but I wouldn’t. If he wanted to talk, I would be able to handle it. I wasn’t sure if I really would, but I tried convincing myself that I would be. He came and carefully pulled a chair over to my table, I looked down at the unopened pudding. 

“How are you feeling?”, he asked softly. I didn’t look up. 

“Amazing”. 

“Me too”, he sighed. “Look, Charlie about yesterday”. 

“I’m sorry”. It slipped out of me before I could even think. 

“No, it’s ok, I understand if you don’t feel the same way”. This puzzled me. What did he mean by that? I glanced up at him, but he was looking down at his hands, he seemed nervous. I decided not to ask, but ignored it. 

“Look, I’m just so embarrassed, ok?”. Niall blushed and looked uncomfterble. I quickly glanced down at my hands fiddling with my chocolate pudding again. 

“Is it really that bad?”, he whispered. 

“That you think our friendship is a joke?”, I said and could hear my voice cracking. I coughed and tried to fix it back to normal. “Yes, you have honestly been my best friend since I met you, and when I now find out it was all because you felt sorry for me, I would say that is pretty bad”. There was a long silence, me still looking down at my hands. 

“W-what?”, I heard him whisper and I looked up. His crystal eyes stared at mine, they seemed confused, hurt like he didn’t know what I was talking about. I bit my lip looking at him. I didn’t know what to say, so I tried something else. 

“I know you’re hurt because of Annie an all, I really am sorry”, I said and looked back down. “But why would you tell her those things, couldn’t you at least have told them to me first, you know how it felt hearing that from her?”. I looked up again, as he didn’t reply. He stared at me and his eyes flickered across the room, as he had just realized something. “Niall, you’re freaking me out”. 

“She told you all those things?”, he said, not looking at me, he was staring at something distant. 

“Yes”, I mumbled. 

“What did she tell you?”. 

“Everything”, I whispered helplessly, now creeped out by his behavior. “About you two breaking up, that she broke up with you because you said what… she said you did. And I honesty didn’t believe it because I’m not that dumb, but then I talked to you, and then found out that it was true”, the words rolled out of my mouth, and a few tears rolled down my cheeks, but my voice was clear and steady. 

“Breakup?”, Niall mumbled. 

“Yeah, she said that…”, I continued but he stood up and his chair fell back. I fell silent.