Chapter 2: Panic and Preparation

"Every new friend is a new adventure, the start of more memories." - Patrick Lindsay

***

What am I gonna wear? What am I gonna wear? I asked myself while looking for something good to wear, no the best should be the word. "Shit! Why am I even panicking for that birthday?" I muttered. Because you'll finally going to see Luke again after 7 years. My conscience told me.

I dialed a number on my phone and began calling. "Hello?" The voice in the other line answered.

"Jenny..."

*

2006

"Chen's International School." I read the school's name at the arch on its entrance. The school itself speaks wealth, I don't even know how the hell I got in here. My family's financial status is going down, which was actually the very reason why we moved here in the province. And why do my parents still waste money for this kind of school, that's what I can't get. I took a deep breath and clutch my back pack and started walking towards the school. "I can do this." I told myself.

While walking, I noticed that there are some children and teens like me who are walking along the side walk and most were dropped by cars. I reached the students affairs office and asked for the direction of my classroom since there's only one section for the 3rd year students in this school.

"Hi, hello Sir. I'm new here, may I know where is the 3rd year's classroom?" I asked the short, almost balding man at the Student Affairs Office.

He looked up to me and smiled. "Hello, its in the 4th floor, last room from the stairs." He paused. "Oh, right wing." He added.

"Thanks." Then with a very fast beating heart, I walked towards upstairs.

The students are still few as I entered our classroom. I chose the seat at the back near the door. I settled on my seat, turn on my phone and began playing. I'd love the idea of being invisible the whole year, I don't know if I'll get along with my new classmates. And this is the very first time that I transferred school for goodness sake!

"Hello, what's your name?" The voice kind of startled me. I looked at my side and saw a tan girl with a shoulder length hair. She looked friendly and she's smiling at me warmly. But who knows, looks can be deceiving.

I smiled awkwardly. And hey, don't judge me, I do not get along with strangers. "Amethyst. Amethyst Parker." I paused. "And you are?" I asked. I hope she's not a bitch, I hope she's not a bitch. I prayed.

"I'm Jenny Reynolds." She smiled, oh well, she smiles at me the whole time since she talked to me anyway. "Nice to meet you, Amethyst."

"A, you can call me A." I smiled back, and this time it's not an awkward smile.

She started a conversation with me and I am so glad that she's so friendly and definitely not a bitch. We talked about our family, where I came from and so on until the school bell rings for the flag ceremony. We have to go down the field and make a queue by level to pray together, sing the national and the school's anthem.

After the morning ceremony, the students were back to their respective classrooms to start their classes. Our first class is Homeroom with our adviser Mr. Dean Miller. He's an old man in his 40's or 50's I think with a big beer belly but he looks kind and gentle, he's also new here like me. He was a former college teacher from different private college here in province. Why teach highschool? That's we don't know. Our classroom has also lots of students now unlike earlier, we are a total of 38 students, as per Mr. Miller.

"So." He clapped his hands. "Since, I'm new here, you all have to introduce yourselves to me." He smiled. "We'll start to you Miss." Pointing to the girl at the farthest left side in the front row. "Tell me your name, the school where you from if you're a transfer student, hobby and whatever you want to say."

The short girl in the front stand up and began introducing herself. "Hi I'm Claire Colbee, not a transfer student and I love to dance." She smiled and she looks friendly like Jenny.

"Ralph Nollan, I'm into taekwondo and basketball." A guy with a shiny head said. "And as most of you know, Claire here is my niece." He added.

"Eric Ingritt, old student, taekwondo and I like to watch superhero series and movies." He smiled widely, his eyes almost look like it's closed.

And the introduction went so on, until I saw him. "Luke Garnett, I like listening to music and do digital arts, I guess." His eyes look like honey, the most beautiful eyes I've ever seen so far. His nose is perfect and his lips are almost pink. Is he even a dude? Why the hell are his lips pink? And then he grinned... and I melted.

My mind was so occupied thinking about Luke when, "Hey A, It's your turn." Jenny nudged me. I immediately stand up and I noticed that everyone's eyes are on me. Gosh, I hate attention. "Hi, I'm Amethyst Ga-" Am I just going to say Garnett?! "Amethyst Parker." I corrected. "You can call be A instead."

"A, like the letter A?" One of the guys that I think a bully or a jock asked me. He's actually appealing and his confidence is overwhelming. I think his name is Rex or something.

"Yeah, the letter A." I answered. "I like to read and draw." I finished my introduction and about to sit down when Mr. Miller asked me about the school, where I came from.

"I was from Manila, St. James Academy. My family moved here in the province so my parents enrolled me here at Chen's." Then I sit down. I can feel my cheeks heating up. I really hate attention. Plus I saw Luke, he was looking at me while I was introducing myself. Of course, he'll look at me, everyone looked at me since I'm new.

Jenny introduced herself next.

*

"Jenny... What am I going to wear on Khael's birthday?" I asked her, almost sounding desperate. I am desperate!

"What? Why do you need my advise?" She asked. "And it's just a birthday."

You don't understand, It's not just a birthday! I'm going to meet Luke in 26 days! I want to tell that to her. I really want to, but I can't. "I always have to be pretty in our batch pictures." I just said.