Chapter nine

I am woken up by the sounds of strong winds and snow flurries.

I get up from my bed and go over to the window. I look out and see the snow sticking to the ground and know it's going to be cold.

I daze off and remember a time Carly and I sat in my bedroom, watching the snow fall.

"So what you get for Christmas this year?" Carly asks me, two days after Christmas.

"Oh you know, t-shirts, perfume, makeup. It was great. What about you?" I ask.

Carly doesn't meet my gaze as she hesitates.

"Umm, I just got whatever. Nothing too interesting." She says uncomfortably.

"Carly what wrong? Are you okay?" I ask worried.

"Oh umm it just that I got this strange present." She admits.

"Oh. What was it?" I ask curious.

"It was a letter. It was from an unknown person."

"What did it say?" I ask.

"I didn't read it." She says. "I just set it aside and later that day I took it up to my room. Then I just set it in my desk and went downstairs."

"Oh." I say, secretly wanting to know what it said.

How could I have forgotten this? I remember thinking about it for days.

Could the letter still be there?

Only one way to find out.......

I head down the stairwell and decide to kill time by reading a book.

I grab the first book I spot 'The Great Gatsby' and curl up on the couch.

I hear feet pitter patter down the stairs and I turn my head to see my mom coming into the living room.

"Wow Rachel, aren't you up early."  My mom says astonished.

"Yea I just have things I need to get done today so I'm getting an early start."

"Oh well I am off today so I was just going to relax at home." She says happily.

"Okay." I say as I head out the door.

I walk down the street, casting glances behind me.

I head up Carly's driveway and go around back, towards to window leading to her bedroom.

I climb up the limb of a tree and lift myself up on to the window sill.

I open the window pane and hop through the opening.

I look around the room and am shocked at how familiar it looks.

The paint. The posters. The bed spread. It's all the same.

I go over to the distressed white desk and open the drawer to my left.

I look in and see some old school work of Carly's. I pick it up and see its from English class, her favorite subject.

Carly loved being able to go into a fantasy world different from her own life.

I put the sheets of paper back and move on to the next drawer.

When I try and open the drawer, it doesn't budge.

I pull the handle once more and when it doesn't open, I step back and notice there is a lock on the bottom drawer.

I look on the floor until I find a bobby pin and maneuver it in the lock until I hear a click.

When Carly and I where in 8th grade, we took a class on escaping dangerous situations.

So they basically showed us how to pick locks and how to protect ourselves.

At the time I thought there was no point but now I'm glad I went.

I pull the drawer open and see a creased letter that looks crisp and clean. No trace of being read.

I am hesitant at first but I finally pick it up.

I walk over to Carly's bed and sit on the edge. I unfold the letter and read:

What if I told you that you would die 8 months from now? Would you believe me? Probably not.

To be exact, you will be lying in a coffin on the date of August 11th. How do I know this? I know everything. And more importantly, I will have the honor of killing you.

Enjoy your last few months alive.

Oh my goodness. Who is this person and why are they targeting Carly?

And why did they pick the date August 11th?

So many questions...But not enough answers.