Chapter twenty one

When I return from the beach with Nick, I am slightly damp, and smelling of salt.
I hop in the shower and wash off the salt that coats my skin.
I rise the soap off my body and hop out of the shower.
I grab a towel and dry off.
I wrap the towel around my body and walk into my room for a change of clothes.
I head to my closet and grab a  pair of sweatpants and a comfy cotton t-shirt.

After I change, I go to my desk and start up my computer.
As my computer is booting up, I open up the drawer in my desk.

I see old school work but then in the far back corner,there an empty spot, almost as if something was meant to be there, but wasn't.
It's the shape and size of a little a square. A box maybe?

Suddenly realization strikes.

It was the small white box that fell out of Carly's pocket the night we fought.

This is how it went:

"Carly what's going on? Your distant. You are cranky." I ask.
"Rachel, you have everything. A big house. Rich parents. Designer clothes. Why do you even bother with me?" She asks.
"Carly your my best friend. We've been friends since kindergarten. I couldn't imagine a better friend."

I remember that as I'm saying this, I step forward to give Carly a hug. But as I touch her shoulders, Carly steps back and trips on a root of a tree and falls down.
I look down and see that there is a big cut on her head that is bleeding pretty bad.
"Carly I'm so sor-." I start to say but Carly interrupts me.
"Stop Rachel. Just leave." She yells.
I remember being so frightened that I listen to her and run back home.

If I came back then Carly's body must of been gone and the box would have been left on the ground from when she was taken by the police officers, I assume.

This makes no sense. I remember running home and wondering if Carly was okay.

The box used to be in the drawer. But it's gone. Stolen.

I think the only way to know for sure is to go back to the place where I last saw Carly alive.

The woods behind my house.