Chapter two

I wake up on Christmas morning and I know I have to play off all my worries about the police investigation.
I know that if a make a big scene my mom will ask and I can't tell her. She is already worried enough.

I hop out of bed and head into my bathroom.
I brush my teeth and hair then head towards my closet.
I grab a pair of light wash jeans and a cream colored sweater and head back into the bathroom.
Once I am changed, I pull open the window in my room and see the snow falling.
It's a white Christmas!
I grab a pair of slippers from my floor and head down the stairs.

I head into the living room where I spot my grandparents and my mother.
I'm not shocked to see that they are just sitting there in complete silence.
I walk in my Grandmother's line of sight and she sees me.
"Rachel I'm so glad your here. I missed you." Grandma says.
"I missed you too." I say as she gives me a hug.

10 minutes later.......

With all the greetings out of the way we decide to start opening presents.
Our Christmas tree was brightly lit up with hundreds of colorful lights. Under the tree are different size presents for all of us.
The first present I decide to open is one that is about the size of a brick.
As I get the wrapping open, I have no idea what it is.
There is an envelope within the wrapping that I open and see a recorder.
Curious as to what it is I excuse myself to my room.
Once I get up to my room I close my door quietly and sit on my bed.
I hit the play button on the recorder and can't believe what I am hearing.
It's the conversation I had with Carly before she died.

"Carly what's going on? Your distant. You are cranky." I ask.
"Rachel, you have everything. A big house. Rich parents. Designer clothes. Why do you even bother with me?" She asks.
"Carly your my best friend. We've been friends since kindergarten. I couldn't imagine a better friend."

I remember that as I'm saying this, I step forward to give Carly a hug. But as I touch her shoulders, Carly steps back and trips on a root of a tree and falls down. I look down and see that there is a big cut on her head that is bleeding pretty bad.
"Carly I'm so sor-." I start to say but Carly interrupts me.
"Stop Rachel. Just leave." She yells.
I remember being so frightened that I listen to her and run back home.

The next morning I think we will resolve this at school tomorrow until I get a call early that morning.
"Rachel this is Carly's mom." She says this in between sobs and I immediately know something is wrong. "Last night Carly was murdered. I know she was your best friend so I wanted to let you know."
I couldn't listen anymore so I hung up the phone.
I ran up to my room,sat on my bed, and cried.

My best friend was dead and it was more than likely my fault.

After the tape was over, I did the same thing as I did that morning.

I sat on my bed and cried.