Chapter twenty five

This is it. This is the decision that will change my life forever.

The officer settles her hands behind her back before she begins.

"Quite a bit of information has been collected. The officers and I have conferenced and a decision has been made."

She takes a small, slow breath before she continues.

"Nick Harris......there is enough evidence to arrest you for the murder of Carly Morris and the harassment of Rachel Davis. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say or do can and will be used against you in the court of law. You have the right to an attorney. If you can not afford an attorney, one will be appointed to you. Do you understand these rights as they have been read to you?"

"Yes." Nick replies, defeat evident in his face.

"Ok. Officers, Will you lead Nick to a holding cell?"

A short red haired lady and the tall brawny man from before lead Nick through the door and down the hall.

Once Nick has finally disappeared from view, I let out a breath that I didn't even realize I was holding.

"Thank you for your time. I understand how stressful this must have been for you both." The officer says as she directs her attention towards my mom and I.

"Yes. Thank you for your help. Would it be alright if my daughter and I went home?" My mom asks.

"Yes of course. But please, be cautious. Goodnight." The officer says as she walks out the door, into the break room.

I stand still before I come to terms with what just happened.

"Oh my god." I whisper.

"What is it Rachel?" My mom asks as she places her hand on my back.

"It's- it's finally over." I say before I break down into tears. The tears I've been holding for the past hour.

"Yes honey. It is. It's finally over. It's going to be okay. We are going to be okay."

The tears continue to roll down my face as my mom ushers us out of the room and into the hallway.

"Come on. Let's get home." My mom says.

I see the door being pushed open through my blurred vision and feel the cool air on my skin.

I shuffle forward until we reach our car and open the passenger door. I slide into the leather seat and close my eyes.

I must have dozed off because I feel my mom nudge my arm.

"We're home sweetie." My mom says softly.

My eyes open and I see that we are parked in our driveway, with the engine off.

I groan as I sit up straighter and yawn.
I pull the handle on the car door and step out to feel a light mist coat my arms.

I walk behind my mom to the front door as she pulls out a key and unlocks the front door.

She steps in and turn towards me.

"Rachel honey? Why didn't you say anything to me? If I knew," She trails off. "If I knew, I could have down something."

"I'm sorry mom. I really am. I just didn't want to involve you. It was already hard enough. I- I'm sorry."

"It's okay. I just wish I knew. But it's over now. It's all over. Now why don't you go get some sleep. It's been a long day." My mom says.

"Okay. I'll see you in the morning. Goodnight mom. Love you."

"Goodnight honey. I love you too." She says as she leans over and kisses the top of my head.

I smile at my mom before I trudge up the steps.

I head into my room and head towards my bed.
I then realize there is one more thing I need to do before I can sleep.

I head towards my closet and turn on the light.
I reach onto my toes and grab the shoe box that sits on the top shelf of my closet.
I pull it down and hold it in my arms as I walk back to my bed.

I sit cross legged as I lift the lid and look in the box.

I see all the pictures that were taken. All the notes that were written.

The pictures Carly and I took. The notes that we wrote.

All the memories come tumbling back as I grab the top photo.

It's of Carly and I, sitting on the steps in front of her house. We are laughing at something that was said. Something to long ago to remember clearly.

As I place the photo on my bed, I pick up a card that Carly made me for my birthday.

It's says:
Happy birthday Rachel! I can't believe we survived another year of school! It's been an amazing year and now your finally 16! I can't wait for our trip to the Caribbean this summer! I'm so glad I get to call you my best friend! I love you so much Rachel!
Love you, Carly

I remember the day that I read this card for the first time. I felt my eyes fill with water. I was so happy that I had someone like Carly in my life.

That trip to the Caribbean was amazing too. We made so many great memories that summer. It was us against the world. Carly and Rachel. Inseparable.

I miss you Carly. I always will. But I will never forget you. You were such an amazing person. Please forgive the mistakes I've made. I should have read your letter. It was eye opening. I love you Carly. I hope you understand. I miss you so much and you will always be my best friend. Forever and always.

I think to myself these words as I drift off to sleep. But before I go all the way under I hear the voice I love the most.

I hear Carly's voice in the back of my head with her response.

I forgive you Rachel. I love you too. See you on the other side.