Chapter twenty three

He's back. He came back to kill me. To finish me off.

My breathing becomes heavy as I my body radiates with fear.
If I can just hold him off until the police can get to me.

Bang Bang
Nick pounds on the back door, desperate to get in.

I look at the clock and realize I only have to wait about five more minutes.

I just have to wait five more minutes.

As I turn back to the door Nick isn't there.
He's not there!
Did he give up? Did he leave?

As I begin to have a sliver of hope, I hear an ear splintering noise.
I look at the door and see that sections of the door are missing. There are chunks of glass littering the floor accompanied by a tennis ball sized rock.

My head snaps up just in time to see hand maneuvering itself through the hole in the door, careful not to cut themselves on the glass.

The hand quickly reaches for the door handle and unlocks the lock.

Knowing I'm to late, I still attempt to relock the door. As I'm reach for the handle, the door rips open, and Nick steps through the doorway with a wide grin.

I step back until I reach the wall, grabbing my phone along the way.

One thing I learned at the danger class I took with Carly was this: almost anything on video can be used for or against you.

With that, as Nick directs his attention to his left, I hit the power button and swipe to the camera setting.
Set on the video function, I press play.

Glad my ringer is set off, I know I need to get Nick talking.

"If you wanted to kill me why haven't you already?" I question.

Nick looks back at me as he replies.
"Because you need to understand just how much I hate you and how much Carly hated you." Nick takes a slow breath before he continues. "I never understood what Carly saw in you. I mean I see fear and vulnerability! But what did she see? A dumb blonde who deserves to die? If Carly wasn't able to kill you, it was my duty to. I can't let her down. I won't let her down."

"Stop." I just about yell. "Whatever Carly told you...was never true. I- I knew her better then anyone...even you. She was always good at pretending . I know that there was no way for her to trust you. She would never trust anyone like you." I hiss.

"You-you don't know that." Nick stutters.

"But I do." I say I as I reach into my jacket pocket and pull out the little white box.

Please let me be right. Please let Carly say something, anything about Nick.

As I lift the lid, I look up at Nick and see astonishment clouding his face.

"What! What?"  Nick screams to himself. "How did you-" Nick cuts off in shock.

"Stop! Stop now!" Nick yells.

"Why!? Why Nick? Are you worried about what it will say? Worried what it will say about you?" I question.

Nick chuckles to himself before he replies.
"I already know what it says." Nick admits."

"What does it say then?"

"It says how much Carly hated you and how you deserve to die."

That's what I needed to hear.

"You don't know that." I say.

"Yes I do. Your a complete fool. Ever since I met you I wanted to kill you. To watch your  body wither in pain."

Just as Nick admits to the truth, just how crazy he is, I hear the faint sound of police sirens.

Their here!

With that I direct my attention out the window and see the sirens flashing their red and blue colors. I swiftly close the lid to the box and slide it back into my pocket.

"What is going on?" Nick mumbles.

I don't respond as I wait for a possibly life saving knock on the door.

"WHAT IS GOING ON?!" Nick yells.

After what seems like forever, but only mere seconds, there is a knock on the door.

"In here." I yell out and I hear Nick grumble profanities to himself.

The door knob turns on the unlocked door as the police run over to the main room. As the police take in their surroundings, I notice the fear clouding Nick's eyes.

"Help me...." I manage to mumble.

"Are you Rachel?" A short brunette asks.

"Yes." I whisper, afraid.

"And who is this young man?"

"Nick. Her friend." Nick says.

I suddenly register what he just said.

"What! No! No he's not. He's-- he's a monster. He-- no! You have to take him away! Keep him locked up forever!" I say as I ramble on.

"Calm down miss. We will take you both down to the station for questioning. We can not make any assumptions or state facts just yet. Please follow me and my colleagues to our cars." The short brunette explains.

I don't respond as I watch Nick be escorted by a tall brawny man towards the front door.

I feel cool hands gently put my arms behind my back and nudge me forward.

Walking through the front door, I see a police car beginning up the driveway.
I look at the car and see through the back window.

I gasp out in surprise as I see the one expression I never thought I'd see on Nick's face again.

Satisfaction.....