Chapter twenty

Nick is the only thing I can think of as I call him on my phone.

I don't know what I would do if something happened to him. He has came to mean so much to me.

As I wait for Nick to pick up the phone, I pace around my room, hoping he is alright.

Finally he picks up.

"Hello?"

"Nick! Its Rachel, are you alright?"

"Yea I'm fine. Why wouldn't I be?" Nick asks concerned.

"I don't know....just making sure." I reply relieved.

"Okay...well did you want to hang out today?"

I look at the clock and see that its only 1 o'clock

"Sure! Where at?"

"How about we go down to the boardwalk?"

"Yea that would be great! How about we meet down there at 1:30?" I ask.

"Yea that will work. I'll see you then."

"Okay. Bye."

"Bye." Nick says as he hangs up.

I put my phone on my desk and go downstairs for a snack.

I open the fridge and see some Greek yogurt. I grab that and find granola in the pantry.

I open the yogurt and find a spoon.

I sit down at the counter and start to eat my yogurt when the doorbell rings.

I go over to the door and look out the window to see who it is.

Its a UPS guy with a package.

I open the door and greet the man.

"Hi. Can I help you?"

"Yes I'm just delivering this package to Mrs. Davis."

"Okay. Thank you." I sign for the package and close the door.

I hear the mail truck drive down the drive way, onto another stop.

I place the package on the counter and see that is addressed to my mom, so I leave it on the counter.

I go back over to my yogurt and finish the last couple bites.

I my cup in the trash and my spoon in the sink.

I look at the clock and see that it is 1:25.

I head upstairs to grab my shoes and phone. I go back downstairs and get twenty dollars and head outside.

It takes about 5 minutes for me to reach the boardwalk from my house if I walk.

When I reach the boardwalk, I look out at the water and watch the waves crash against the sand.

As I stand there, I remember a time when Carly and I used to come down by the water and jump through the waves.

"Carly!! You said it would be warm! Its absolutely freezing!"

Carly chuckles to herself before she dives back into the waves. When she emerges from the wave, she has a wide grin on her face.

"Come on Rachel! It feels great! Dive in!" Carly says elated .

I look at Carly before I dive into the water. I am over taken by the rush of water around me. I eventually arise from under the water and look over at Carly.

"See that wasn't so hard now was it?" Carly jokingly laughs.

"Whatever!" I chuckle.

"Together?" Carly asks.

"Together." I grab Carly's hand and we dive into the raging waves together.

When we emerge, our hands are still entwined and we are both grinning like little kids on Christmas.

We both crack up laughing.

"I couldn't imagine a better best friend." I say as I get my laughing under control.

"Me neither."

"Rachel! Rachel!" I hear someone calling.

I come back to reality and see Nick standing beside me, calling my name.

"Yes?"

"I've been calling your name for like 2 minutes and you didn't even move an inch. What happened?" Nick asks.

"Sorry I was thinking about something."

"Its fine. So do you want to go down by the water?"

"Yea lets go." I say as I grab Nick's hand.

As we reach the water, the sun starts to come out from behind the clouds.

"So I've been meaning to ask you something." Nick says.

"Yes?"

"What was it like at the hospital? Was it like scary?"

"Ummm, it was very.....crazy. I'm just glad that I was able to leave." I admit.

"Oh....okay. Well I'm glad you left so that I could see you."

"Yea me too." I say as I look over at Nick.

We walk a couple steps until Nick says something.

"So I had an idea."

"What's that?"

"This!" Nick says as he lightly pushes me and I fall over into the water.

"Nick!!!" I say, still in shock.

Nick chuckles and runs along the sand.

I hop out of the water and precede to chase Nick on the beach.

As he runs along the waters edge, I take advantage and push him into the water. As he falls down towards the water, he grabs my hand and we fall down together.

While I come up from under the water, I see Nick dive under an incoming wave....just like Carly.

I follow his lead and go under the next wave I see.

When I arise from the water, I see Nick standing knee deep in the water, laughing.

"What are you laughing at?" I ask

"Nothing. I'm just having a really good time!"

"Me too."

I wait a second before I say something.

I nod towards the waves.

"Together?" I ask.

"Together." Nick grabs my hand and we go under.

I might not have Carly....but I have Nick and that's pretty darn close.