Chapter Ten

"Did you come to stare or wash away the blood?"

Gerard knew Frank would want to see him, so he had to do something about his increasing need for blood. It had nearly been three days now and it frightened him how weak he felt, how dependent he was becoming on this disgusting addiction.  Not knowing what to do, he went back to the hospital, banging frantically on the metal door around the back. "Hello? Can anyone hear me?" he called, feeling stupid, but the pain in his throat kept him persistent. "Can someone open the door please?"  he banged again with more force, grimacing with exhaustion. Gerard paced up and down, body full of panicky despair. What would he do if nobody came? Sliding down the dirty wall, he crouched with his aching head in his hands.

There was a click as the door opened. A frightened looking young nurse peeked out, looking warily at Gerard. He jumped up and immediately began speaking.  "I'm sorry for making so much noise out here...I just...Is Ray working tonight? is he in there? I need.."

The nurse interrupted, "Yes alright, I'll see if he's here" taking pity on him as she studied his awful condition.

"Thank you, thank you. Its an emergency. I need to talk to him for a second." Gerard continued, unable to stop spewing words in his panic.

The nurse began to shut the door, mouthing "Ok" as she backed away. Gerard paced up and down again briefly before going back to banging the door. Suddenly it opened, nearly hitting him in the face.   Ray emerged, shadowed by the nurse.

"Hey what are you doing huh? huh?!" he pushed Gerard

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry" spluttered Gerard "I'm just I need anot.."

"Shut the fuck up. You ruined everything." Ray said though gritted teeth. He paused and then leaned closer and whispered "I'll meet you in the south alley. Two hours." before making a show of shoving Gerard away. "Fucking asshole. Don't come back!" he yelled across the car park.

***

"In the south alley. Yeah. No, now!" Ray hung up and put his phone away, hopefully Bob would turn up soon, he was so lazy, especially when he knew he was needed. He walked into the alley and turned as a skinny figure emerged from the shadows. "What the fuck man?" he exclaimed to Gerard "Did you think it was a drive through?"

Gerard ignored Rays annoyance. "So what now?"

"I can't get anything for you till next week" Ray stated, lighting a cigarette and blowing out acrid smoke.  

"No." Gerard whined, pacing again.

"You did it to yourself kid" Ray declared

Gerard brought out a handful of notes from his back pocket "I'll pay double. Take it, there's gotta be something you can do"

"We tried that shit remember?" Ray shouted, throwing the money back at Gerard and watching it float to the ground "You didn't appreciate my creativity."

"shiiitt" Gerard half screamed, bending down to scavenge his money from the puddles, breathing heavily.

"You know, you're one fucked up mother fucker" Ray smirked 

"Yeah fuck you" Gerard spat

"What? What did you say to me?" Ray smiled again. He was in the mood for some fun and this kid was testing his nerve. He kicked Gerard over as he crouched collecting notes from the ground, throwing his still burning cigarette to the ground in the process. He watched Gerard try to prop himself up and grinned at how weak he was. 

Ray's eyes widened as Gerard turned to face him. He had never seen that look before, absolute unadulterated rage. Suddenly he wasn't in the mood anymore.  The boy lunged for him, sending his body sprawling backwards onto a heap of rubbish. His head hit a broken bottle, its sharp green shards splitting the skin on the back of his neck cleanly, letting a large amount of blood pour forth. He coughed in shock, clutching the wound. Squinting though pain clenched eyes, Ray was able to see Gerard standing over him, breathing heavily. The boy seemed to be hypnotised by something...and then he understood. The motherfucker wanted blood.