4: Reflection

FOUR: REFLECTION

Emily dropped one of her shopping bags from laughing, “You think so?”

You see, we were talking about how I thought that they (as in, Emily and James) were meant to be. What a fun conversation – it involved her making lovey-dovey eyes at me and questioning everything I said. That’s why I won’t tell her who likes her anymore. I cannot deal with the weird eyes!

I picked up the bag and smiled, “I know so. What time is it? Aren’t we going to the race?”

“Oh right!” she looked at her watch, “Dude, it’s almost 8. We have another hour.”

“Yeah but we have to drop all this stuff off at my house and I have to get my sleepover shit.”

My cell phone vibrated in my pocket. I pushed some bags up my arms and dug into my jeans. I got a text message! EEP! From Katie!

“Hey, we r having a birthday party on Friday at 7. Rents r out of town again. U in?”

I looked over to Emily who also had her phone out.

“YAY!!!” I squealed, “I am so excited, I even bought their gifts already because I am such a smarty! Yay!”

“Hurray!” Emily and I giggled together. Her minivan beeped – the trunk opened on its own. Most people think minivans are stupid but I think that they are a freaking ingenious invention, not just for busy soccer moms! Hell, it was so roomy inside that you could probably fit a trampoline inside and jump on it without killing yourself. Not really, but I’d like to think that. I pulled my phone out and texted Katie back. I slammed my phone.

“HOME, JAMES!”

“Oh yes Ma’am,” Emily started the van and in no time, we were on the road back to my house.

I looked out the window, watching all the scenery pass by. We lived in a pretty cute suburb, no doubt, but I always thought that it was the most boring place in the world. Number one on the list.

I day dreamed out the window. There were images of Fisher and my brother dancing across my mind – why were they both so freaking immature? Why couldn’t they just be friends? Small rain drops began to collect on the window, moving downwards. It was interesting enough to watch. Maybe that’s why I didn’t mind their relationship before – because I never saw it. Now that I saw, I was disgusted.

“Hey, we’re here,” Emily tapped my side. I snapped out of my thoughts and got out of the car. I ran to the door with my backpack in tow. It flew open.

“Where have you been! You were supposed to be home two hours ago! I was worried about you!”

“Emily was picking out underwear sorry. She’s picky,” I shrugged and pushed past James, “Oh, I’m sleeping over her house tonight!”

“Great,” he yelled at me, “You know I’m racing, right?”

“Yep, already got the word from Fisher at school,” I ran into my room, slamming the door.

What to bring? Something sexy for tonight, something to sleep in, something to wear to school tomorrow.

“You talked to Fisher?” my brother’s voice travelled through the thin wooden door.

“Yeah? What’s it to you?”

He sighed, “Remember what I told you, he’s not someone you should be hanging around.”

“Gotchya,” I shoved all my clothes into a duffle bag. I threw my perfume and some other stuff into it to. I opened my door back up.

Of course James was still there.