23: Lost Desires

TWENTY THREE: LOST DESIRES

The aroma of the heavily buttered popcorn danced around the movie theater lobby. I inhaled happily. There was no place I would rather be.

"But I want to see Red Riding Hood!" Joel's voice brought me back into reality.

"I vote Beastly," I said randomly.

"Beastly it is," Fisher smiled, "Because you are the only woman here... I think. Not so sure about those two," he pointed at Joel and Matt.

"I am more of a man than you are!" Matt said with a frown.

So we bought the tickets for a whopping $60. Yeah, going to the movies is incredibly expensive these days... They might as well just install money detectors and make you pay whatever you have in your pockets. No wonder they have so much of that delicious popcorn...

"Sky? You there?" Fisher poked me.

I shrugged, "Not really. I mean yes. But no. Popcorn..."

"I'll buy you some in a second," he rolled his eyes, "I asked if you wanted anything. Well, aside from popcorn?"

"Uh. A gigantic rootbeer!!!"

He gave me a strange look.

"Whatttttt?" then it hit me like a ton of bricks: I really had to pee. Real bad, "Hold that thought, I gotta pee!!!" I smiled before walking over to the bathroom.

The overly clean bathroom.

I looked in the mirror, touching my hair.

I wonder what Fisher saw in me, to want me out of every other girl on the face of the planet... What about his ex-girlfriend? That blonde? Wasn't she with Toby?

A stall door opened and a girl with long black hair began washing her hands.

"If you scream, I'll kill you here and now."

"Excuse me?" I laughed, thinking she was joking, "Good one."

I continued to an open bathroom stall but I didn't even get a chance to shut the door. She had a knife to my throat.

"You stay the hell away from Fisher, do you hear me?"

"Who are you?"

She pressed the knife into my throat harder, "Did you hear me?"

"Y-yes. But I just want to know who you are."

Her lip twitched, "He didn't tell you about me, did he?"

I looked into her dark blue eyes, searching for the answer. I wonder how he knew this girl - then again - he kind of knew every girl in town so it wasn't surprising. Was she a girlfriend? No... She looked too much... like...

"HOLY SHIT!"

She punched me in the cheek. The pain started out very small in the center of my cheek but then radiated like a large fire. It took over every inch of my face until I was consumed by the fiery pain of the punch.

"I'm his sister and you're the bitch that ruined everything I planned for him. He would have the best life. He would be the better man and you reduced him to nothing in less than a day. It was all those years ago but now the past has finally caught up to you. Filthy bitch."

"How did you know we would be here?"

She pulled a phone from her hoodie pocket and flipped open the screen.

They are going to the movies. Fucking get them. -Tobz

"So now, you're going to pay for all the shit you put him through and there's nothing you're going to do to stop me. He won't even notice that you're gone, you know that? He'll just move on with another disposable rag doll like you! A fucking rag doll!"