12: Locked

TWELVE: LOCKED

The rest of the week didn’t even matter to me. I was living my life in fast forward. It really didn't make a difference for some reason and was so bland; I couldn’t recall what I did. The next important day of my life was Thursday.

I thought back to that text message I got. How the hell was I going to get a guy like Matt to ask another guy out?...

Well, no one said it would be easy, I guess.

The bell rang, releasing us all from class. It was the end of the day (I wouldn’t have lasted any longer because school sucks. Bad) when I realized I needed to talk to Matt.

I opened up my locker with unusual ease. I threw my Chemistry book onto the top shelf.

What would I do? I looked up in just enough time to realize Matt and Fisher were walking straight towards me. Oh shit.

“Hey,” Matt leaned against the locker next to mine, “When are we doing this project?”

“I don’t know.”

“It’s due on Wednesday. I wanted to get it done this weekend so we won’t have to worry about doing it next week.”

"Whatever," I shut my locker, "I don't care."

"My house, Saturday." Matt smiled, "Okay?"

"Wonderful."

Then I thought of it.

"Wait," I caught Matt before he walked away with Fisher.

"What?"

"Say I had this hypothetical friend and this hypothetical friend was a male who wanted to hang out with you but hypothetically he wanted to be more than friends. What would you hypothetically do in this hypothetical situation?"

He blinked, "Uhm. What?"

"Do I really have to repeat it?" There were now only two people in the hallway, making out against a locker. Loudly. I mean man, did you have to vocally suck each other's faces off? It sounded like a cat getting run over by a banana boat.

"I've been meaning to tell you this," he coughed. The couple jumped off each other, running down the hall. Serves them right.

"What?"

"I'm kind of, well. Since I met you... I thought I was... but then... you're so beautiful and amazing... I thought I was... and then you ask me this... and..."

"What, Matt?"

"I was gay. I liked. Well. I liked this guy. And then you came along. I wasn't sure anymore. I think I'm bi. But I'm still unsure. I would be happy with you... or a guy... I mean, I don't know!" he put his head in his hands, "Joel. I like Joel. And you."

My mouth hit the floor.

"Shit. Well. Congrats," I threw my arms around him, "This will make my life easier. Joel likes you back."

"R-really?" he looked up from his hands.

"Uh, duh! He asked me to ask you out!"

"Don't lie to me, Sky, you're just doing this to make me feel better," he frowned.

"Believe what you want, call him. I'll text you his number. He'll be estatic. Trust me."

"Why are you doing this?"

I stopped.

No, I can't, I couldn't tell him. Dammit, he couldn't know it was helping me with Fisher. Then he wouldn't go out with Joel. I guess it's time for... a little white lie?