13: Painful?

THIRTEEN: PAINFUL?

I sat outside at a picnic table enjoying my lunch with Emily, Katie and Madison. The sun was so warm that it touched our faces and warmed us up very quickly. It was moderately cold inside the school because it was all air conditioned. On these hot days, we were just so thankful that we had it but also thankful to escape it.

“Em, I never asked you... Did you tell James?”

“No. I don’t want to hurt him…”

“It will hurt him more that you didn’t tell him!”

“Sky!” she blushed, “Please keep it down, I don’t want everyone to know.

“You can’t just leave! You can’t run away from this!”

How could she think that moving off to Washington would solve anything! It would just make her life worse: she wouldn't have any friends to support her. Half of her heart would be ripped right out of her. How could this be any worse...

“I won’t,” she scoffed. “My reputation will be ruined. I won’t be able to go to college with…”

“Okay Ms. Pessimist!”

I felt something hit me in the back, “Get the fuck out of my way.”

“What the hell Emily, did you get a sex change?” She pointed behind me. Oops. Toby. “Excuse me?”

“You heard me, bitch, out of my way. I don’t have time for you today.”

Emily jumped to her feet immediately in response, “That’s no way to talk to my best friend.”

“Well then you should get a new one because she’s shit.”

“Fuck you. Stay away from me and my friends!”

I looked between the two of them, feeling the hatred boiling through their veins. It was hot enough never mind this crazy shit between them! I didn’t even care that he was insulting me at this point. It was so damn hot I just wanted to go inside and get a nice cold glass of water. That sounded good to me.

“Okay, okay,” I raised my hands.

But I didn’t even get a word in after that because the idiot punched me! He punched me right in the damn eye! My right eye…

“Mother fucker.”

I clocked him back in the nose. It caused blood to flow almost instantly from his big honker of a nose. Damn fool, he deserved it. What kind of person, specifically a man, punches another woman, specifically a woman? There was most definitely something wrong with that picture. Seriously… And I punched him again in the jaw. He fell to the ground.

“What’s your problem?” I shrieked at him and kicked him before picking up my bag and walking away. No one followed me, not even Emily. I walked straight to the forest behind our school where there were no werewolves, vampires, or other mythical creatures. It was boring. Like a forest. Boring. I kicked a rock. Damn rocks.

I sat down, sighing. I wasn’t even hidden where I was sitting. I didn’t care if people saw me sitting there crying. They should mind their own damn business. I wish that someone cared enough to just ask me if I was okay. I guess not...

The bell rang and the crowd dispersed. Everyone went to class. I sat in the forest, watching.

And I pulled out my cell phone, scrolling through my contacts... Who would I call to get me?

My eye burned, blurring my vision.

Calling James wasn't an option... I called my second best. Even though I barely knew him, he was a brother to me.