15: Driven

FIFTEEN: DRIVEN

"Where is your Mercedes?"

"In the shop. I was in an accident, remember?"

"They gave you... this?" I gestured to the unbelieveably lame excuse for a car. Well, it wasn't exactly a car. It was more of a pedophile van. The outside was all white, the inside was empty except for the two seats in the front. There were no windows in the back.

He rubbed his forehead, "It's not so bad."

"It looks like a child abductor's van."

"Either that or an undercover drug bust team vehicle," he smiled.

I guessed since he was drunk, it would be the most opprotune time to ask him. He wouldn't lie to me.

"What happened to you anyway?"

He frowned, "I don't want to talk about it."

"I won't tell anyone?"

"That's not it," he scratched the side of his head, "I don't think I should tell you."

"And why is that?"

"Because."

"Because why?"

"Just drop it, Sky."

I felt the van become incredibly cold.

Maybe I wasn't asking him the right way. Maybe I had to be a little less nice about it. Be a bit more... evil... I pulled over to the side of the road and turned the van off.

"Fisher. Please tell me."

He shook his head.

"A kiss. I will kiss you if you tell me what happened."

His eyes met mine.

"I was upset, alright? And stupid. I hit the gas when I shouldn't have," he frowned, "I have stitches on my shoulder from glass cutting it. That's it."

"Well, that's not good enough," I turned on the van and pulled back onto the road, driving along like it was a Sunday afternoon.

He whimpered slightly as we hit a bump in the road.

And when I turned into my driveway, I shut the van off again.

"I held up my end of the deal."

"Doesn't mean I have to," I smiled and took the keys out. "You can't drive to your house like this anyways so you'll have plenty of time to complain about it."

"My house is across the damn street!"

"Good observation, Sherlock. That doesn't mean I'm letting you drive there."

"Well I'm not leaving my van here with you. It took me forever to get the rental people to even get me something to drive while my car is in the shop!"

"Then you'll just have to come inside," I stepped out of the van and slammed the door roughly. I walked over to his side, opening the door for him, like the proper woman I was. He fell onto me, "Come on you big fat lug."

"I am not a lug!" he slid out of the van.

If he wasn't a lug then I wasn't a girl. Really, Fisher? I towed his body into the house and threw him onto the couch, right into James' lap. He wiggled slightly in protest but allowed Fisher to lay on him.

"What the hell, Sky? I'm having a bad enough day, never mind throwing this idiot on me," he frowned, "Why didn't you tell me she moved?"

"B-because I didn't want to hurt you."

"You didn't want to hurt me? Really? That's the worst excuse I've ever heard."

"You would have done the same if it was Fisher!"

Dammit, Fisher was right there. That was an accident. I guess. Or was it? Was I trying to say something? Was my heart trying to get through all the mess in my brain?

"I'm not moving?" Fisher sat up and moved off James' lap.

"That's not the point, idiot," James rolled his eyes.

"No need to be hostile."

I sighed, "Calm down guys, okay? James, I'm sorry I didn't tell you that Emily was pregnant and moved okay?!"

"She was... pregnant?" He ran his fingers through his dirty hair, "Oh Sky, I didn't know that. Sky, that baby could be mine."

"She moved because she knew it wasn't yours. She said it was Rex's!"

"No, no, I'm pretty sure it isn't his..." James shook his head, "That's not possible. She never did anything with Rex. No, she didn't... Ohhhh shit. Fuck, fuck, fuck!"

"Well, that's good." Fisher responded.

"Uh no Fisher, that means that I'm the one that has to go make this right. Can I trust you to watch Sky for the next few days? I'm going to fly out there and tell her to come back. She's coming back here with our baby because... I want to be the father. I want to."

"I am perfectly fine on my own!" I added.

James shook his head and leaped off the couch, "I need to make sure that you stay safe."

"Because you weren't?"

He frowned, "The past is the past. You of all people should know that, Sky." He stomped out of the house and slammed the door closed.

Dammit.

"Sky," Fisher tapped my arm, "If you cry again, I will have to steal that kiss from you."

"I. Don't. Care." I sat down on the couch.

His arms wrapped around me, causing my insides to jump slightly. He was so warm, so comforting. His lips touched my cheek, "It's going to be okay. We'll just have to hold this house up until James gets back. That won't be too long. And we'll have each other. Okay? I'm not going to leave you here. I'm not just a part of the past... I'm part of the future."

"I swear to God if you try anything, I will kill you with my own hands. No weapons."

He smiled, "Ah, there's the Sky I know."

The Sky he knew... I have to give up. I have to run. I have to leave this place. I have to leave my brother and everyone else, including Fisher.

The only question is... When?