Chapter 9 ~ Moria

We clamber through Rock and Snow as we start to reach the mountains. I watch as Frodo slips on some shale and as he scrambles to his feet, the Ring falls on the ground. I instantly grab the silver chain and quickly hand it back to Frodo my body tensing at its closeness. As we make it further into the mountains our company starts to struggle through the snow. Then as if by magic we are hit with a blinding blizzard, up towards the Pass of Caradhras. Legolas and I move lightly across the top of the snow when he suddenly pauses as I start to hear a voice sweeping by in the wind.

"There is a fell voice in the air." Legolas says as he narrows his eyes as if to see through the wind. 

"It's Saruman." Gandalf says as thunder rumbles causing rock and Shale to fall from above. Legolas grabs me by the arm and pulls me into his body right as a boulder falls behind me. 

"He's trying to bring down the mountain. Gandalf! We must turn back!" Aragorn says urgently. 

"No!" Gandalf yells as he instantly raises his staff and chants into the wind."Losto Caradhras, sedho, hodo, nuitho I ruith." (Sleep Caradhras, be still, lie still, hold your wrath.) 

Saruman's voice instantly strengthens rolling past us like thunder. A Lightning crack explodes on the mountainside above us. I look up in horror as a huge snow avalanche thunders down towards us. Legolas once again grabs me as the rest of our company throw themselves against the cliff face as snow crashes onto the narrow ledge. Once he makes sure I am okay Legolas turns away from me and pulls Gandalf to safety. Aragorn shields Frodo and Sam as snow piles around them. Within moments, the pass is blocked and we are enveloped in snow. Boromir and Aragorn frantically dig for the hobbits, who are pulled out shivering and fearful.

"We must get off the mountain! Make for the gap of Rohan and take the West road to my city." Boromir yells over the wind. 

"The Gap of Rohan takes us too close to Isengard." Aragorn quickly replies. 

"We cannot pass over the mountain. Let us go under it. Let us go through the mines of Moria." Gimli says and my body tenses. 

"Let the ring bearer decide." Gandalf says and my eyes instantly plead with him not to go into the mines. The weight of the decision weighed heavily upon him as he looks at Merry and Pippin shivering in Boromir's arms. "Frodo?" Gandalf says making Frodo meets his eye. 

"We will go through the mines." Frodo says and my heart clenches as I glance over as Gandalf my mind knowing fully what was to happen next. 

"So be it." Gandalf says causing us all to turn around and head back down the mountain. I avoid Gandalf's eyes as we slowly make our way down the mountain. 

"Are you alright?" I hear a voice ask and turn to see Legolas looking at me concern filling his icy eyes.

I sigh as I say, "What do you know about me?" 

"What does that have to do with anything?" 

I sigh as I say, "Nevermind, I guess I'm just not too keen on going into the mines." He nods as he starts to walk off and clearing my throat I say, "You know where I'm from they never taught me how to shoot a bow. I don't suppose you'd be willing to teach me?" 

He smirks as he says, "If you wish it, I shall teach you." 

I smile as I say, "Ni 'lassui, Legolas." He nods slightly before he rushes toward the front of the company where Gandalf lead the way.

"I see you have taken a liking to our young elf." I hear a male voice say and turn to see Aragorn walking up beside me a knowing smile covering his lips.