Chapter 14 - Helms Deep

A long line of people can be seen weaving its way down the hillside. Eowyn and I talk about things and soon become great friends. When we arrive to some lakes Legolas rides up beside us and I ignore him. "My lady would you be so kind as to lead my horse while I scout ahead?" He asks Eowyn and she gently nods. I grit my teeth as to not speak out of anger as he quickly turns and heads back off ahead of the group. 

"Do not take his words to heart princess." I hear Gimli say from the back of the grey mare and I sigh as I reply, "Gimli, if there is one thing I have realize about the line of Thranduil is that they never say anything they don't mean." Gimli open his mouth to reply but instead decides to lighten the mood.

"It's true, you don't see many Dwarf women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance......that they're often mistaken for Dwarf men." Eowyn smiles and looks back at Aragorn, riding his horse as Aragorn says, "It's the beards." He gestures to an imaginary beard on his chin. Eowyn grins and looks back to Gimli. 

"This, in turn, has given rise to the belief......that there are no Dwarf women......and that Dwarves just spring out of holes in the ground..." Eowyn and I laugh and Gimli laughs too as he continues, "...which is, of course, ridiculous." He throws his hands up and the horse suddenly gallops off, throwing Gimli to the ground. 

I burst out laughing as Eowyn smiles, and then quickly runs to help him. "It's all right. Nobody panic. That was deliberate. It was deliberate." I grab my sides as I walk up to him and holding my hand out say, "Of course it was," He gives me a look as he takes my hand and I quickly lift him up to his feet. 

As we continue to walk Hama and Gamling ride past us and my eyes follow them to see that Legolas is standing on top of a hillock looking out. I stare at him for a moment before the realization hit me and my face hardens. "Gimli get back on the horse." I say as I assist him back on the gray mare. 

"What is it _____?" I hear Eowyn ask and before I am able to reply I hear the howl of a wolf and Gamling cry out, "Wargs!" I watch as Aragorn rides over the hill toward Legolas.

"Eowyn you must lead the people to Helms Deep. Do not stop until you reach it." I say as I grab a bow and quiver from one of the wagons. I look up right as Aragorn hurries back down the hill toward us. Théoden rides up to him and I follow closely behind bow gripped tightly in my hand. "What is it? What do you see?" Theoden asks as he reaches Aragorn. 

"Warg! We're under attack!" He replies and the people of Rohan begin to panic. "Get them out of here!" Aragorn cries out to the guards and they quickly start ushering people along.

I run past them to the top of the hill and looking out see a whole herd of Wargs running toward us. I glance out the corner of my eye to see Legolas raising his bow and I grit my teeth as I follow suit. Legolas and I fire arrows from a long distance at the Wargs before we see the horses coming up behind us. Quickly he turns, and grabs the strapping round Arod, and swiftly swings himself up into the saddle. As Aragorn reaches me he holds out his hand and I take it the force of his speed pulling me up behind him.

I ready my bow and continue firing arrows as The Wargs and riders clash and a battle commences. As Legolas rides through the Wargs, firing arrows, Gimli slides from the horse. He picks up his axe and sees a Warg feeding on a dead man, "Bring your pretty face to my axe." He says as the Warg runs toward him, Just as it pounces Legolas rides up beside it and kills it. "That one counts as mine!" He cries out before he turns to face another Warg about to attack him. He swings his axe at it and kills it. It falls.... on top of him, "Stinking creature."

The fighting continues and I quickly slip off the back of the Horse and turn to see who I took for the lead Orc come racing toward me. Tossing my bow aside I reach for my swords and pulling them from their sheaths.