Chapter 13 ~ Rohan

Riding across the plains of Rohan, Gandalf, Legolas, Gimli, Aragorn, and I stop to look at Edoras in front f us. "Edoras and the Golden Hall of Meduseld. There dwells Théoden, King of Rohan...... whose mind is overthrown. Saruman's hold over King Théoden is now very strong." Gandalf says and I gulp down a breath of air. "Be careful what you say. Do not look for welcome here." He says as we start the ride into Edoras. I glance toward the Golden Hall to see a Maiden dressed in white standing at the very top of the steps. The standard on the flagpole next to her flutters loose and gets carried away by the wind. We ride into Edoras, and as Aragorn reaches the outside gates, the standard flutters to the ground next to us.

As they ride through Edoras, people stare at them. "You'll find more cheer in a graveyard." Gimli says and I nod as I look around at all the gloomy faces. I look back at the Golden Hall but the maiden has gone. Coming to a stop outside the Great Hall we climb off our horses and I take a deep breath as I follow closely behind my father up the steps to the Hall. Suddenly a group of guards walk out of the Hall and the lead one with wavy auburn hair says, "I cannot allow you before Théoden King so armed, Gandalf Greyhame. By order of Grima Wormtongue."

Gandalf nods at the others and they quickly hand over their weapons. I grit my teeth as I hold back a few choice words for the unaware guards. "Your staff" The lead guard says as he points to my father's staff and I take a deep breath of air as he replies, "Hmmm, You would not part an old man from his walking stick." The lead guard looks worried for a moment, then turns and leads them forward. Gandalf winks slyly to Aragorn and follows him, holding onto Legolas' arm. Aragorn, Gimli, and I follow closely behind. The lead guard pauses at the door and lets them pass. I glance forward to see a sly looking man standing next to a withered old man who I instantly knew as Théoden.

I watch as the sly man leans down and secretly whispers into his kings ear. I look over at Aragorn who as if sensing my want to say something gently shakes his head making me groan inwardly with anger. "The courtesy of your hall is somewhat lessened of late......Théoden King." Gandalf says and I follow behind my father, every once in a while glancing around at the menacing looks being given to us as a group of guards follows us. 

"Why should I welcome you......Gandalf Stormcrow?" Théoden says as he looks to Grima for agreement. 

"A just question, my liege." The man replies as he gets up and walks towards us continuing, "Late is the hour......in which this conjurer chooses to appear. Lathspell I name him. Ill news is an ill guest."

I feel Aragorn grab my arm as if to hold me back as my father replies to the man, "Be silent. Keep your forked tongue behind your teeth. I have not passed through fire and death......to bandy crooked words with a witless worm." He lifts his staff in front of the man's face making his eyes go wide as he cries out, "His staff. I told you to take the wizard's staff." The menacing group moves to attack Gandalf, and I pull away from Aragorn as Legolas, Aragorn, Gimli, and I quickly fight them off. Gandalf continues to walk towards Théoden.

"Theoden......son of Thengel......too long have you sat in the Shadows." Gandalf says his staff rose toward the king. The sly man I now realize as Grima sits up in an attempt to get away, but is stopped by Gimli standing on his chest with one foot. "I would stay still if I were you." Gimli says before motioning with his head toward me as he continues, "She's easily angered and wouldn't mind relieving you of your head." I smile devilishly as I hold tight to a dagger I had relieved one of the guards from. 

"Hearken to me! I release you......from the spell." Gandalf says as he holds up his hand, closing his eyes. 

Théoden laughs mockingly as he says, "You have no power here ......Gandalf the Grey."