Chapter 16 ~ Feast for the Fallen

Gandalf, Eomer, Aragorn, Legolas, Gimli, Theoden and I all ride through the forest looking warily around. Suddenly distant laughter is heard. I glance forward to see Isengard in ruins and smile. "Ahaha!" Pippin call out as he salutes us with his mug and Merry Stands. "Welcome, my lords and lady to Isengard!" 

"You young rascals. A merry hunt you've led us on and now we find you feasting and ... and smoking!" Gimli says as he chastises the hobbits. 

Pippin slurs as he say, "We are sitting on a field of victory enjoying a few well earned comforts, The salted pork is particularly good." I can practically see the drop drip down from Gimli's mouth as he says, " Salted pork..."

"Hobbits!" My father cries out and Merry smiles as he says, "We're under orders from Treebeard who's taken over management of Isengard." 

I smile as I say, "If you've had enough shall we be off?" 

Merry's eye find me and huge smile fills his face as he calls out my name and grabbing his coat jumps down and runs over to me. When he nears Fili he stares at him for a moment before he says, "Is he safe?" I chuckle as I climb down and wrap my arms around the little hobbit and say, "I have missed you my friend." He hugs me back as Pippin runs up to us. "Shall we then?" I hear Gandalf say and I roll my eyes as I say, "Come along," I lift them up onto Fili's back before lifting myself up behind them.

We ride to Orthanc with the Hobbits on board with us. "oooom, young master Gandalf, I'm glad you've come. Wood and water, stock and stone I can master, but there is a Wizard to manage here locked in his tower." 

Aragorn looks up at the tower as he calls out, "Show yourself." 

"Be careful. Even in defeat, Saruman is dangerous." Gandalf says and I let out a sigh. 

"Well then let's just have his head and be done with it." Gimli says growing impatient. 

"No, we need him alive. We need him to talk."

"You have fought many wars and slain many men Theoden King and made peace afterwards. Can we not take counsel together as we once did, my old friend? Can we not have peace you and I?" Saruman says and I grit my teeth. 

"We shall have peace.... We shall have peace when you answer for the burning of the Westfold and the children that lie dead there! We shall have peace when the lives of the soldiers whose bodies were hewn even as they lay dead against the gates of the Hornburg... are avenged! When you hang from a gibbet for the sport of your own crows... we shall have peace!"

"Gibbets and crows! Dotard! What do you want Gandalf Grahame? Let me guess... the key of Orthanc? Or perhaps the keys of Barad Dûr itself? Along with the crowns of the seven Kings and the rods of the Five Wizards!" Saruman says as he turns his attention to Gandalf. 

"Your treachery has already cost many lives. Thousands more are now at risk. But you could save them Saruman. You were deep in the enemy's counsel." 

"So you have come here for information. I have some for you." Saruman holds up the palantir and looks into it as he continues, "Something festers in the heart of Middle Earth. Something that you have failed to see. But the great eye has seen it! Even now he presses his advantage. His attack will come soon. You are all going to die! But you know this don't you Gandalf? You cannot think that this Ranger will ever sit upon the throne of Gondor. This exile, crept from the shadows will never be crowned King. Gandalf does not hesitate to sacrifice those who are closest to him... those he professes to love! Tell me, what words of comfort did you give the Halfling before you sent him to his doom? The path that you have set him on can only lead to death."

"I've heard enough! Shoot him! Stick an arrow in his gob!" Gimli says clearly have reached his limit causing Legolas to reach for an arrow. Saruman's eyes find me and I instantly feel a shiver run down my back as he says, "And what of the Elven Princess, the halfbreed. She will follow in her father Sauron's footsteps. It is inevitable."