Chapter 23: Everything is Off Without the Other

Maasaki's p.o.v

"We have to get back to the base now." I said. "We don't want to anger the gingerbread man, right Satos-"

I stopped mid sentence realizing that Satoshi was no longer here.. I felt weird without having Satoshi by my side all the time. Back then I just wanted to get rid of him. But now... I just feel lonely without him. 

I was used to his constant put downs on me, as well as his ignorance. Now that I think about it.. I never truly held any hatred towards Satoshi. I guess you could say I was jealous of him. He was this nice and caring guy who puts others before himself. Not to mention that he also had these comrades that waited for his arrival. While back in my home, Kirigakura, I had no one there. 

No one to miss me when I left, no one to go out of their way to even try and bring me back. Probably because I lived amongst many children. After all, I was an orphan... it's pretty hard to be noticed when there were other children around. I don't even know if my foster mother even knew my name. Whatever... it's not like any of that matters anymore.

I made it to the base and took a deep breath. I hesitated for a bit, but I know I'll have to get this over with and just opened the rock sealing the hideout. I walked into the base as the rock closed itself behind me. 

The place seemed awfully empty still. I looked throughout the base, but no one was in sight. Huh... I guess everyone was still out.

"Maasaki..!"

"Ah!"

I jumped at the sudden voice and spun around. 

"Tsk, what have I told you about sneaking up on me like that!" I sneered.

"Sorry..." Zetsu said. "Where is Satoshi..?"

"Dead." I replied bluntly.

"Did you get his eyes?" he asked.

"No.. as I tried to rip his eyes out, a bunch of Leaf shinobi's came out of nowhere and ambushed me." I said. 

"That isn't good... Obito is going to be furious." Zetsu said.

"Hn, like I'm afraid of him." I scoffed.

"Shall we report in of your failure to gain the eyes?" he asked.

"Go ahead, he'll find out sooner or later..."

"Okay...." 

Zetsu began to disappear into the ground, leaving me here all alone in the base once more. 

"Things really are boring without you here..." I muttered quietly.

<The Next Day>

I was laying on my bed tossing a small ball into the air that Satoshi made out of the ground. He used to always throw these at me to get me to shut up. I sighed as I threw the ball up too high and hit the ceiling. 

The ball flew down to the ground and skid across the floor before coming to a full stop. The ball landed near Satoshi's bed. I got off of my bed to retrieve ball shaped rock, but I felt a slight breeze brush past my face. 

Odd... there is no way a breeze would be felt here. I mean, sure it gets cold and you feel a little breeze here and there, but they didn't have the slightest force like the one I felt earlier. Whatever, maybe it's just nature trying to fool me. I crouched down to pick up the ball, but the breeze hits against my face once again, except this time it puts in a little more force. 

I heard something flapping in the breeze until it slipped out of whatever it was holding it down and gracefully fell to the ground. 

I looked over to see what it was, and that's where I lost it. I began to sob silently as I looked at the photo I gave to Satoshi. I thought he had thrown that out the day I gave it to him, but instead, he kept it.

"Oh Kami..." I chuckled lightly. "Look at me, I'm a mess. I don't even know why I'm crying so much. I didn't think of him as a friend until recently. So why? Why do I cry for him?"

I wiped the tears off my face and picked up the photo. I folded the picture and stuffed it into my pocket. Maybe I should write in a scroll.. that should keep me off my mind. I pulled out a blank scroll out of my dresser and set up my ink. I sat on my bed and opened up the scroll. Time to write..:

2013-5-2

How do I sum up everything that has happened? Well, for starters, the person I thought I truly hate died yesterday. And no.. I didn't take his eyes like I initially wanted. Satoshi... he showed me so much kindness that day. Not only did he spare my life, but he gave me another chance to clean up my act. So the least I can do for him, is watch over his comrades. 

Ha-ha, can you believe I turned this soft in just two days? But, Satoshi has brought a whole new light in my eyes. I no longer have intensions for the jinchuriki's. He reminds me of him... although, just because I don't want it now, doesn't mean I can just take back the progress we've made so far. 

And I highly doubt that Obito would see reason. I just wi- someone is coming, I'll have to end this on a bad note, sorry.

Ito Maasaki

I quickly hid my ink and brush, along with my scroll, in my dresser. I then jumped onto my bed and lay on my back playing with the ball.

"Maasaki." Zetsu said, popping out of the ground.

"What is it?" I said, sitting up.

"I forgot to tell you that Deidara had fallen." he said.

"Today?"

"No..." he said. "He died yesterday. He died two hours after I had asked you about Satoshi."

I sighed. "Cause of death?" 

"Sasuke Uchiha..."

"Hn, Deidara started it, didn't he?" I said.

"You're spot on." Zetsu chuckled.

"And where are the others?" I asked.

"You already know where Konan and Pein are... Itachi is battling Sasuke right now as we speak. Kisame is holding off Sasuke's team, and Obito is watching the outcome of the battle." he answered.

"Alright... dismissed." I muttered.

"Oh? You're not going to come over and watch the battle?" he asked.

"Why would I waste my time on something so meaningless? I'll know the outcome when I don't see a familiar face around here anymore." I spat.

He chuckled. "You're livelier than ever."

"Yeah, yeah, off you go now." I said waving him off.

"Alright, but we'll be back.. soon."

Zetsu disappeared under the ground as I laid back, down to once again play with the ball.

"So Deidara is dead huh?" I said quietly. "He deserves it... there's only so much I can tolerate rudeness."

I sighed until I finally realized I need to hide my scroll that was in my dresser. Man, I'm glad Zetsu didn't see me as I hid it. That would be very bad. Well... I'll just have to make sure no one notices. 

These scrolls have to live on. For the sake of my sanity, and for the sake of the memories that will soon be washed out of existence. I promise Satoshi, I will find your truth and clear the name Obito labeled you. 

But the only one who would know all the answers, is your Lord Third...