The Old Man

When Kai had recovered from his shock, his phone rang. Five seconds later, we got up.
"It's mum and dad, they're worried." He said hurriedly.
Seeing that Kai didn't want to talk, I sprinted forward, letting the wind whip across my face. My mind still overthinking everything.

Once we arrived, Kai just went into his room and locked the door. I was still dizzy after fainting in the park. Even when Trin told me to get ready as I was going to go ask the townspeople whether they knew me, my eyes glanced back at my wrist. The scar was oddly just like Kai's, which was weird. I decided I would try to talk to Kai after dinner- as much as I dislike him.

"So sweetie, where to?"
Trinity's mum asked, peering at me from in front. I looked up, I had been thinking about my scar and the missing people's reports. They were all nagging at me. As if I knew the answer but was just off my reach. It was definitely annoying.

"Umm the town square? I'm meeting Eli and Elly. Thanks so much Mrs ummmm... for letting me stay at your house and offering to drive me." I thank, sending a small smile her way.

What do I call her? What was Trin's surname?
Way to be polite Ava. Ughhh why am I stupid?

"Haha no problem. By the way just call me Mrs Roberts. Also have fun honey!"
She pulled up at a parking lot and I saw Eli and Elly. I waved goodbye to her and walked towards them.
When we reached the town square, Elly started speaking up.
Thank god.
Eli's annoying voice was disrupting my thoughts. Man, that dude seriously needs to stop talking so much.

"So what do we do now?" Elly says, her tone, bored. "Just go around and ask people. And show that picture of Ava Trin took." Eli replied, sending a smirk my way.
It took a second for me to respond. "What the-?"
Too late, they'd already ran off, leaving me standing there shaking my fist at them. Taking another deep breath, I approached a lady.

The day went by as fast as it came. Then I saw him. Kai had told me the description and name of the old man when we got back. Well at least I forced him to. Seriously, what gives to his hostile persona?
Well the old man's name was Anthony Aptor.
While Elly and Eli talked to an old woman, I contemplated going up to him.
Well here goes.
I rushed forward and tapped him on the shoulder. At first confusion was shown on his face when he turned to see who tapped him, a wave of recognition swept him, he gasped in shock and horror and retreated a few steps backward. What had been fear had morphed into anger. His eyes were filled with hatred beyond description. A futile rage swept him as he grabbed my wrist forcefully.

"How could you, she was only 17. Now I can never face her mother, you...you monster!" He hissed and sputtered. Using a defensive move I twisted his hand and dragged him towards a nearby tree. Trying not to attract any attention, I whispered, "How dare you call me a monster? What do you mean? Do you know me?" The old man stared at me with confusion painted on his face. Then realization dawned on him. "You got what you deserve. He gave it to you didn't he? The injection. But why? Why would he want you to forget your own memories?" He asked rhetorically."

I widened my eyes and spoke softly," Who is this "he", and what injection?" My mind swirled with questions, like a vicious snake. In that moment, feeling my grip loosen on his hand, the old man dashed away. As despair took over me when I realized that I couldn't catch him, I walked back to Elly and Eli.
What did he mean?
Was he referring to the missing people?
Why did he call me a monster?
Am I? Who is the "he" he keeps on referring to?
And an injection to remove my memories?
Why? How? ...

Interrupting my train of questions, Eli approached me. Then he gestured to an empty bench. He shifted awkwardly on the bench. "So why did you call me?" I asked, irritated. I decided not to tell him about my encounter with the strange old man who knew too much. Not noticing my irritation, he clears his throat.
"I umm...need umm your help..." He said quietly. "What?" I asked, not really paying attention. "I umm like Elly, can you umm... help me? I've decided to ask her out today but like, I'm really nervous so I wanted to ask if you could come on a double date with us? I've already asked Kai, he actually doesn't know that you may be his date. Please?" He pleads.
Ugh why of all people, Kai? Then I see Elly in the background and look at Eli again. They've all done so much for me...
"Okaaaaayy..." I said, already dreading the date. "Yes! Thanks so much! I'm going to ask her today and if all goes well, hopefully, oh god what am I thinking? I can't do this... Oh yeah, the date will be at 3pm." Eli says looking nervous and squirmy. I nudge him and make him get up to ask Elly.
I roll my eyes. Maybe I can take advantage of this date, maybe I can ask Kai about the scar and if he opens up, about his past...
After an unsuccessful search for the old man, Eli glances at me and gives me a thumbs up. Then he leaves as Elly approaches me. "I'm so happy you're agreeing to this. Let's go to my house, you can borrow something nice to wear..." Elly squeals in excitement and embraces me.

Elly's house was huge! And her room, it was amazing...
"Just dig into my closet and take anything that looks good to you. I owe you..." Elly said. I sigh a breath of annoyance and trudge towards her cupboard. Everything doesn't look like my style until I see the most perfect turquoise and purple t-shirt. I grab a bohemian printed pants and try the clothes on. Just then, Elly turns around. "Wow you look great and you so rock that t-shirt! I know what can make that look so much better!" She says happily, taking a brown, cloth, simple headband and passes it to me.
I try it on and gasp, wow I look pretty good. Just my style and practical. I'm wearing my blue Adidas (which I stole from Trin. So basically hers) and it actually matches my outfit. I grin at Elly and leave with her. She's wearing a dark purple and blue Tye-dye t-shirt with black tights held together with a belt!
"You look fab!" I say, fully meaning it. She grins and after a few minutes of me encouraging her to get out of the house, we finally make our way to the restaurant which is only a few blocks down.

The moment I walk in I see Eli. I give Elly a reassuring smile and she makes her way to Eli. I suck in a deep breath and look for Kai. Then I spot him at the back of the restaurant which Elly had told me was 'Pasta Mania'. Kai's face was priceless when he saw me. I almost doubled back in laughter. Stifling my laughter, I cleared my throat and took my seat...

***

Hope this chap was good y'all!
Don't forget to comment, vote and share!!!!
Until then
-Rae