The Date

As I took my seat, Kai was staring of in space,apparently finding the ceiling more interesting than talking. "Okay, look I know this may be awkward, so let me be clear okay, I don't like you, I'm doing this because Eli and Elly asked me to okay?" I said, trying to clarify things.
A wave of relief swept Kai's face. "Umm I need to ask you some questions, I know you saw my scar and it looks almost the same as yours, you can't keep hiding..." I say softly. Kai looked away and replied,"I saw it okay? What's there to say? It's really weird but maybe it's just a coincidence..."
I rolled my eyes. As if, there's no such thing as coincidences in life... Clearly, Kai was also doubtful but I don't think he wanted to talk about it.

"Trin told me about your past. Do you mind me asking you some questions?" I asked, not trying to seem curious. Kai's fists clenched in anger and he gritted his teeth. "I...don't want to talk about it, okay? What is your problem, exactly? Why do you have to be so nosy?"

I flinched and stared into my plate. Wow, can this "date" get any worse... I thought sarcastically. Just then, the food came. Appreciating the distraction, I dug in. Not even caring about how 'unwomanly' I was eating, I stuffed my face. Kai barely touched his food as he stared off into space.
And then, another one of my headaches came, only this time it was so painful! I squeezed my eyelids shut and grabbed the edge of the table until my fingers ached. I bit my tongue until I could taste a tangy metallic taste in my mouth. An ear-piercing shriek was resounding in my head. Kai saw my discomfort and grabbed my shoulders, shaking me violently. But his efforts only seemed to make the pain worse. I groaned in agony, trying to not attract any attention, I clenched my fists to stop myself from screaming out loud in pain. Agonizing pain coursed through my whole body. Rivulets of perspiration dotted Kai's head. As much as he disliked me, I don't think anyone would have wanted to see anyone in this much pain.

Not knowing what to do, I grabbed Kai's hand and squeezed it for dear life. My head throbbed so badly that my vision started to blur. The last thing I saw was Kai's face stricken with panic and fear.

Smoke enveloped the entire room, as people started to cough. The fire was growing more intense. My lungs burned with the restraint of screaming so much. Fire was everywhere. Hope was draining out of everyone. Panic overwhelmed me as I looked to the ground with despair. Then a blinding light shone through the entire room as a person emerged out of the light...

Wiping my brow furiously I woke up to find Kai still at his seat looking at me with worry. Gulping down all the water I had, I turned to say something to Kai when all of a sudden someone screamed out. "FIRE!!!!!" Everyone started to panic. People rushed toward the exits as the acrid smell of smoke filled the room. I experienced a sense of déjà vu. This was exactly like what I had seen in my supposed "dream" just now. Surely this was no coincidence. What was happening to me? Then, somebody shouted," the exits are locked! We're all going to die!" Not accepting that, many people used their strength to try to yank open the exit doors but to no avail, they're efforts were in vain.

The fire was growing intense and some people had even doubled back coughing. I looked around and thought of my "vision". This can't be happening! Kai looked at me with worry in his eyes, all mutual hatred for each other gone as the fear of death settled in all our minds. Then I remembered Elly and Eli, I searched around the restaurant and saw that they were still at their table but what had been happy smiles had turned into anxious frowns.

The air thickened as the flames grew. Almost everyone could only stand there and watch as our lives inched away from us. What had been fear, had morphed into desperation. The fire, it's source unknown, had made its way to the back of the restaurant. Smouldering fire licked the back of the restaurant like a hungry kitten with a saucer of milk. Everyone sitting at the back including Kai and I moved to the front as some people mumbled their goodbyes. I looked at the floor and thought about what death would feel like when all of the people here had so much more to live for, their families, and so on.

Interrupting my thoughts, a blinding light just like the one in my "vision" appeared. A figure appeared out of the light. I tiptoed to get a better look, but as people started running for the exit. The figure was lost among dozens of people. Not wanting to get trampled on by the anxious crowd, I found Elly and held her hand while following Kai and Eli out of the now destroyed 'Pasta Mania'. Luckily no fatalities were found, other than people fainting from the lack of oxygen or fear. Kai and I stepped away from the crowd and stood uneasily, digesting what had just happened.

Then suddenly I saw a black vehicle pull up on the opposite street. Two masked man were talking to each other and holding on to something. As Kai followed my gaze, we both stood there looking at the very suspicious looking van and the two men. As if reading my thoughts, Kai said, " let's go get a closer look! You see that car behind the van? Let's hide there and see what those people are up to..." He grabbed my hand and we both ran towards the car and crouched there, making sure the two men couldn't see us. I leaned in closer, forgetting how close I was to Kai as curiosity got the better of me.

"Did it work? Okay good? So what do we do when we bring the bait to boss?" One man said as I tried to catch the snippets of their conversation. Kai was doing the same too. I peered closer and realized that the other man was holding onto something or someone, but the man who has asked about "the bait"-whatever that is, was obstructing my view.

Then when trying to open the door, he shifted. I got a glimpse of the thing the other man was holding onto. My breath got stuck in my throat as I stared. It couldn't be... How? Kai's face was shocked and then anger seeped in. I stood there riveted to the ground as I took in the scene in front of me. Kai was shaking in both horror and anger. Because the man was not holding a thing, it was a person, and not any stranger.

It was a bound and gagged, Trinity... Then a thought struck me. How was she here? Then I remembered that she was also meeting up with Sachin! No why her? Who were those people? What do I do? Kai was just about to stand up and attack those men, when we saw the man who was holding Trinity, take out a gun... My blood was icy cold.

How could this happen?

I thought. As terror gripped my entire being.
Do we call the police? Kai looked like he had the same idea and he pulled out his phone, but by then the men had put Trinity in the van and drove off.
I slowly got up as tears welled up in my eyes. I hadn't known Trinity that long, but she was like my... best friend. Kai stood up and said, his voice cracking with emotion,"who were those guys?
Whoever they are, I will kill them. I will not rest until I find her. Nobody is going to believe us and mum and dad left today for Hong Kong for three weeks. Don't tell anyone. I will get my sister back..."

"Not just you, I'm coming too. Trinity is the closest thing to a best friend I have ever gotten- I think(memory loss sucks). So this is my final descision, I'm coming with you, whether you like it or not" I said firmly as tears threatened to escape from my eyes. Kai nodded and a determined look was painted on his face.

Trinity wherever you are, I will find you, don't worry. With that I wiped
my tears furiously as questions swirled in my mind like a raging thunderstorm.

Why Trinity?
Who were those people?
What do they want?
And where are they taking her?...