Prologue: August 2012 5:45pm

He was adorable.

There was no other way to put it.

With his dorky chocolate-colored hair that touched his shirt collar and his bright brown eyes. His smile was crooked and he had a slight overbite. He didn't bother to comb his hair or even fix it, but he still managed to have some type of nerdy charm.

Ares looked at me, his head cocked to the side, while he rested his elbow on the table between us. He laughed, his eyes as cheerful as a child, before he glanced down at his phone. I kept my eyes on him and studied the way his small Adam's apple moved when he gulped.

I held my tongue as his expression changed and moved my glance towards the table. His phone buzzed but I didn't bother to look up. His chair squeaked as he stood up and then the soft sound of footsteps as he retreated. My mind wandered as I waited for him, we were supposed to do homework after all.

It always made me wonder why I agreed to go out with him. Perhaps, it was the peer pressure from my friends when he used an affectionate gesture to ask me out. Still, in times when he was cowardish and submissive, I wondered why I dealt with him.

I tapped my foot against the floor and brought out my phone. I inserted my passcode and the phone clicked open. 5:45. I could only waste fifteen more minutes here before I had to leave. We were supposed to start at 5:30 but of course Ares had to distract me.

Time ticked by and I knew I had to leave soon. He was the one that needed tutoring, not me. I started to pack up the numerous books that were scattered on my side of the table and stood up. When I glanced up, Ares was in my line of sight. He crookedly grinned but his smile faltered when he saw all the books in my hands.

"Hey, sorry I had an important call. But we can still study, I think we have-" Ares started.

"I have to go," I butted in, "its 6:15."

"I know I'm sorry, but-"

"I have to go, Ares."

"Wait. Cas, please."

I turned, a slim eyebrow raised, "Yes?"

"If I broke up with you, what would you do?"

I laughed, "Why would you? You're practically in love with me."

"I-I, let's pretend I did."

"Fine. Then I would shrug my shoulders and move on with my life."

"Just like that?"

"Just like that. It's easy to. It's not like we were really affectionate or in love or something."

Ares bit his lip, his eyes wide with an undescribable emotion, "Really?"

"Obviously. Why were you wondering about such a trivial fact?"

"No, no reason. Bu-, never mind, I just, I just wanted to say goodbye."

"Bye," I stated with a roll of my eyes at his dramaticness.

I turned on my heel, a simple smile on my face. With focused steps, I exited the library and didn't look back, because I didn't think that would be the last time I saw him.

Oh, how wrong I was.