Chapter Thirty-Five: April 2016 3:18pm

Maybe I deserved that.

The anger. The yelling. The curses.

It was stupid of me to do and I ultimately paid the price and put the life and happiness of someone I cared about on the line. Ares hadn't returned from his dramatic exit, not that I blamed him. Instead, I blamed only my own foolishness but I hadn't gotten emotional about it. It was a mistake but there was no time to dwell on it and get worked up.

While he was gone, I busied myself with small cleaning and I momentarily watched TV. I seriously doubted he would be long though, or at least I hoped he wouldn't be. I didn't think Ares was that angry though, it was just a spur of the moment thing.

Almost a quarter after three, I heard the front door open and I immediately turned to meet him. When I saw him, my breath caught in the back of my throat at his expression. His eyes were a dull red, with brighter red around his eyes. His cheeks were puffed up a little and discolored pinkish. Ares's hair was ruffled and spread around in every which way and his hands hung at his sides.

I stared at him in silence for a moment, the endless stream of words I had planned to say dry in my mouth.  His actions spoke louder then anything I could've said as he took a few steps towards me and wrapped me in his arms. His fingers gripped the back of my shirt tightly, like if he let go I would slip through his fingertips and be gone forever.

"I'm sorry," I repeated again, my head right under his chin.

Ares shivered, "I'm not saying it's okay, but it's a simple fix. We got this, alright? We're in this mess together."

I mumbled a mess of three words into his neck and although he tensed, I don't believe he heard me.

Another time then.