Chapter Thirty-Four: April 2016 12:20pm

We sat at the kitchen table, my head on his right shoulder as he typed away on his computer. Although I wanted to succumb to sleep, somehow his shoulder was incredibly comfortable, it wouldn't be fair to him. When Ares got to rest, I would.

"How have you been paying for stuff since you've moved in?" Ares asked, his voice low and soothing.

"Credit card and cash," I said nonchalantly.

Ares jerked his head away abruptly and turned to face me, while I moved my head sharply so it wouldn't hit the table. His brows scrunched together in confusion, his lips pressed firmly together. His dark eyes shone with unsaid emotions that couldn't possibly be put into words as he tried to conjure up a sentence.

"Are you fucking kidding me?" Ares said harshly, his words inarticulate but still painful.

"What?" I said, my voice a little louder then his.

"Dear," Ares sighed, "you're usually very witty and I adore that, but this was probably the fucking stupidest thing you could've done!"

"But-" I tried.

"No. That fucking credit card is the reason she knew you were in this area, she tracked the fucking card. Where is it?"

I fumbled around in my back pocket for the card and slid it onto the table. Ares grabbed the piece of plastic and easily bent it in half before he threw it down onto the table.

"Ares!" I said incredulously.

"Would you rather pay for shit with cash or be dead?" Ares said coldly.

I paused, my mouth half-open, my right hand up in the air to motion with. With a steely gaze, he stared me down before he turned away and stared at something on the wall.

"Because, that's what's gonna happen," Ares said and his voice trembled, "if she finds you, you're dead. A-and I don't know if I would be there to save you."

And in that moment, I remembered that although he was my rock, Ares was nothing more then a senior in high school like I was, someone who had the weight of the world on his shoulders. He took me in and cared for me in the best way that he could, all the while he tried to pay rent, maintain his grades, and get into a good college. He was as clueless as I was and it was unfair of me to place all of my burdens on him.

"I'm sorry," I choked out.

For once, he didn't respond before he left the house.