Chapter Forty-One: June 2016 9:30am

Things slowly began to take a turn for the worst for us.

My calls to his cell phone went unanswered and were never responded to as quickly as they once were. I knew it was idiotic, but there was still a silent fear inside of my stomach that Ares had found somebody else. Our somewhat daily phone calls turned into weekly phone calls and then every two weeks. Whenever I was home, he wasn't, and when I was busy, he wasn't. It just never quite worked out.

May had ended and June was almost over, but I had last heard from Ares on the fifth of June when he told me about his graduation.

Graduation. Wow, I missed my graduation.

Ares told me more about how my friends had been worried about my disappearance and his new job. He managed to score a fairly high-paying internship under a financial management business, thank to a good friend, and was extremely excited about it. He also described to me how his hours would be demanding though, and he wouldn't get to talk much.

I stopped calling him consistently, in fears that the calls bothered him or could get him into trouble at his new job. It wasn't the lack of effort that started to drive us apart, it was the time zones and the move and the distance and everything else.

The odds just weren't on our side and everything seemed stacked against us. I had managed to get a job in retail at a little shop down the road, but that didn't help my relationship with him. The job was necessary though, to help my father out with the bills.

I wished things were easier for us. That instead of all my problems that drove me to another state, we could just be fourteen-year-old kids with no worries in the world and have a slow, gentle relationship. It made me think though, as I was driven to my job that I had never really gotten to know Ares before I left. I had no idea what his favorite food was, or what his dreams were, or what he liked to do in his free time, besides party. When we re-entered each other's lives, it had all been about me and my problems and left little room for him to be himself around me.

I was selfish, utterly selfish, and I knew this relationship was selfish too. I wanted to be with him, but the distance and everything just created problems on both sides. This relationship wasn't good for us, but fuck how I wanted to be with him.

We had to discuss this before we got to far in.

Well, he got too far in.

I was already a goner.

- - -

Only three more chapters then this story's over, prepare for drama haha.