Chapter Nineteen: January 2016 3:00am

I woke up with a start, my breath rushed and ragged. With shaky hands I searched the sweat-soaked bed for my phone.

Exactly three a.m. What the fuck?

Tears threatened to overtake my vision as fragments of my nightmare haunted me.

Her finding me. He running away. The pain. How easily she overpowered me.

Goddamnit.

I sat up abruptly, and I dropped my phone carelessly upon the carpeted floor. I was utterly alone, although I heard voices in a nearby room. I rubbed my eyes harshly, before I dug my nails into my skin to stop the oncoming tsunami of tears. And in that moment, I wondered why poets ever wrote that there was something wonderful and beautiful about silence, because all silence really was was an invisible python that slowly constricted it's victim, until it's victim stopped struggling and was eaten entirely.

I stood up and got out of the bed. Dressed in a pair of too short shorts and a long shirt, I was not a sight for sore eyes. I stumbled out of the room, while exhaustion clouded my senses. The voices got louder as I approached the stairs and I knew there were a lot of people downstairs. I changed directions and headed into the room right next to the stairs, which happened to be the bathroom.

After a quick splash of water on my face, I felt more awake. I doubted I was going back to sleep, I would just be plagued by more nightmares. I exited the bathroom and to my surprise, I watched as two people stumbled up the stairs, in a mess of feathery touches and entangled limbs.

I recognized the boy clearly and the girl. His hair was ruffled and dark and I saw a flash of his eyes and I had no doubt who it was.

Ares.

Without a second thought, I re-entered my room and stood with my back against the door, as the sound of their laughter slowly became quieter.