Chapter Twelve: December 2015 10:29pm

Only a few hours until Christmas. Until another useless holiday comprised of meaningless gifts came and went. Only a few more hours until another Christmas came and went, just like usual.

Now, I would not consider myself a Scrooge, but I was never a big fan of Christmas. The overhyped holiday didn't really appeal to me. Maybe it was because I never received many gifts as a child, or maybe it was because I was just a realist. I didn't feel the need to get in the "Christmas spirit" that lasted for a while before disappearing the day after the holiday.

With a loud exhale, I stretched out my arms and cracked my back. My limbs felt heavy and I was fatigued from a substantial lack of sleep. Sleep was a fleeting butterfly that I was unable to capture, no matter how large the net I had.

My eyes closed as I laid down on the couch. I was exhausted, though I had done next to nothing today. I had no idea why, but I kept experiencing low-points. For days, I would feel fine, then I feel low, as if I had fallen to a sinkhole and was unable to climb out.

But then, the door had to ring. Pitiful how on Christmas Eve I was alone, although the entire holiday is about being with your family. And so, if a sigh that could move mountains, I re-opened my eyes and stood. Track pants were casually thrown on my legs and all I wore was a blue sports bra.

I shrugged on a sweatshirt to cover up before I made my way to the front door and opened it. Flakes of bright  white snow blinded me, but it was nothing compared to the eyes of the guy in front of me.

And because it seemed that no one but him wanted to bother me, Ares stood in front of me. He grinned nervously, his neck covered by a thick, gray, woolen scarf that was messily thrown together. His nose and ears were bright red while his hair was sprinkled with white.

In his hands, a violet box laid, untouched by the storm of snowflakes. After a minute of silence, Ares cleared his throat and I diverted my attention to him.

"Hi," he breathed.

"Hi," I responded and I couldn't believe it but somehow my heart was louder than the blizzard outside.