Chapter 27 - Bittersweet "Cya Laters" And Sweet "Hello's"

A/N:
Song: "One More Night" by Cascada

-3 days later-
-Ruth-

Tears and Laughter were mixed together as we stood by the airport gate, giving our goodbyes.

Hannah, Sophia, Drew and Abby's two friends had piled into Dad's minivan to go along to the airport. Now here we stood.

"I really don't want you to leave." Hannah said mournfully.

I bit my lip and gave her a hug, holding her for awhile. "I hate goodbyes." I muttered.

"Then we won't say goodbye. Cya later Ruth." Hannah answered, a faint smile resting on her face though her eyes were clouded over.

I tried to smile but failed miserably. Sophie, Drew and Hannah engulfed me in a big group hug.

I gave them all a separate hug. It was hard, to let them go, again.

"Dad, I just wanted to say, I love you and I forgive you." I told him and he kissed the top of my head. "And I'm sorry kiddo. I love you." He kissed my forehead and gave me a hug before letting me go.

Standing on my tiptoes, I wrapped my arms around Drew and rested my chin on his shoulder, the tears now threatening to flood over.

"Raspberry, I'm gonna bring the girls for a visit some sweet day yet. I have to, for our sake." He whispered into my ear and I smiled, hugging him tighter.

"Thanks Drew. I love you, and thanks for being such an awesome best friend." I whispered back and he laughed, letting go of me.

"Just doing my best." He winked.

After having a tearful "cya later" with Sophia and Hannah, I picked up my suitcase and walked with Abby through the gate. Just before we went out of view, we turned back and waved one last time. It was a sight to see. Dad and Drew were bravely waving back but Hanny and Sophie, and Abby's friends were holding each other in a side hug, trying to act brave while waving, despite the few stray tears rolling down.

As I disappeared out of view, I glanced at Abby and felt my heart break.

"I'm sorry you have to leave again." I murmured and she lifted her eyes to meet mine, a forced smile placed on her lips. "Well, I'm leaving my best friends, my dad, and all the old memories. What could be worse?"

I sighed and decided not to answer before we were through security.

As soon as we sat down in the waiting area, I finally answered her. "Well Abby, on the bright side, Mom will be waiting at home. She misses us too."

She nodded and took out her phone.

I sighed again and rubbed my forehead, tears misting over my vision. Now I just wanted to stay here. Going home meant telling Austin what happened.

"What's wrong Ruth?" Abby asked, her eyes peering up at me.

"I'm dreading going home." I mumbled.

Her face creased in confusion and she patiently waited for me to explain.

"Remember the party I went to?"

She nodded and I took a deep breath before continuing. "Jake kissed me there. And I don't know how to tell Austin." I answered, clasping and unclasping my hands.

"If you didn't kiss him back, then why are you worrying?"

"You're right Abby. I didn't kiss him back. In fact, I called him a son of a bitch." I smiled sheepishly and she laughed, giving me a side hug.