Chapter 3

Ashlyn settled down in her bunk falling asleep instantly. In her dream, she dreamt about the night Jason barged in and tried to kill her and Daisy. She was startled by someone shaking her to wake her up. It was Amy. Evidently, Ashlyn was crying out and woke everyone up. She looked around embarrassed at everyone's concerned face. "Who is Jason?" Adam asked.

"I don't like to talk about it. I won't bother you again, I promise," Ashlyn said laying back down into her pillow.

"Ashlyn, I asked a question," he snapped.

"And she said that she didn't like to talk about it," Amy snapped back. Adam rolled his eyes then rolled over to go back to sleep. "Will you tell me about it later?" Amy whispered.

"I'll try," Ashlyn whispered before falling back asleep.

The next morning, Ashlyn woke up before everyone else did and got dressed. She decided to go ahead and fix breakfast for everyone so there wasn't a hassle. One by one, each person woke up to the smell of bacon and eggs. "Whatcha cooking?" Nathan asked looking at Ashlyn as she fried the bacon.

"Nathan, what does it look like I'm cooking? It's bacon and eggs," Ashlyn said putting the strips on a plate then doing the same with the eggs on another plate. "Order up!" she said as she put the plates on the table which was already set. Everyone sat down and dug into their food.

"Why didn't you become a chef?" Nathan said with his mouth full. Ashlyn laughed at everyone's expressions. Even Adam was in awe of her food.

"My dad tells me that I cook like my mom," Ashlyn said as she bit into a piece of bacon.

"We've got to hurry. B shift will be here in a few minutes," Adam said looking at his watch. After they finished, Ashlyn and Amy took their dishes and washed them real quick while everyone else got their stuff together.

"So what was it with the Jason guy you were talking about in your sleep last night?" Amy asked as she dried a plate.

"Oh yeah. When I was two, my mom's best friend's ex boyfriend barged in our house and beat my mom then tried to kill me, but mom beat the tar out of him before he could. Evidently, the guy liked my mom in high school, but she didn't like him so he dated her best friend. I have nightmares about it every now and then, but they go away the next night," Ashlyn said looking down at the sink. Amy had a shocked face.

"Was your mom okay?"

"Yeah. He just beat her really bad to the point where she passed out. My dad and his partner had to call for another squad to take over for Jason."

"How come?"

"So my dad wouldn't kill him," Ashlyn said. Both of them laughed and went back to work. Finally, the captain from B shift came in to take over. Everyone left and headed for home.
@@@@@
"Hey, mom," Ashlyn said walking through the door.

"Hey. How was your first day?" Daisy asked.

"Well, the captain obviously doesn't like me because he wants to transfer me to 10s, my partner is Chet's nephew, which they look nothing alike, and I had another Jason nightmare last night and woke everyone up," Ashlyn said sitting in one of the dining room chairs. Daisy's smile turned to a frown.

"The captain wants to transfer you? Why?"

"He thinks I can't do the job. I have a week to prove him wrong," Ashlyn said putting her head in her hands.

"Ashlyn, you can prove him wrong. On my first day, they didn't believe in me either. I changed their perspective though," Daisy said putting her hand on Ashlyn's shoulder. Ashlyn smiled.

"How did you do it?"

"Well, for your father, I only had to bat my eyelashes," she said laughing, "With others, it took me getting hurt and doing CPR on a five year old to convince them. I know you can do it because you put other people's needs before your own. Now, what's this about Chet's nephew?" Ashlyn laughed. They talked for a few more minutes then Ashlyn headed to bed to rest for the next shift.
@@@@@
Ashlyn woke up for supper. She walked in the dinning room with a yawn and sat down. James laughed at her. "Morning Sleeping Beauty." Ashlyn chuckled.

"You know I have to get my beauty sleep," she laughed. Daisy shook her head and set the food on the table. Ashlyn and James dug in as if they were little again. Johnny came in and dug in too as Daisy sat and took it slower.

"I didn't know you all were that hungry!" she laughed. James got up to get seconds. Ashlyn finished up, kissed everyone on the cheek, then went to bed. It was going to be a very long day for her if she was going to prove Adam wrong. Ashlyn shut her eyes and let sleep take over.